USMC LTC Sterling Cigarette Case

W&H = Walker & Hall (Sheffield England)

Crown = Sheffield England

Lion = British Sterling

a = date letter (believe to be made around 1918)

920 West Osceola Avenue, St Paul, MN: Built in 1900. The structure is a one story, 1383 square foot, six room, two bedroom, one bathroom, stucco house, with a tuck-under/basement garage. The records of the 1919-1920 Minnesota World War I Soldier's Bonus Board (#2359) indicate that George Irish Springer (1892- ,) a 1917 enlistee and a Musician Second Class, promoted to Yeoman First Class in the United States Navy, who was born in St. Paul, had blue eyes, dark brown hair, and a ruddy complexion, was 5' 5 3/4" tall, weighed 128 lbs., was an assistant manager of the employment department employed by Swift & Company after the completion of service, and was married, resided with his wife, Charlotte Florence Springer, at this address.

s4.jpg

There's so many more records on this person. If you're that interested in his military history I would suggest getting his records from Geoff at Golden Arrow Research http://www.goldenarrowresearch.com/. I've used him before and he's fast, thorough, proficient, and reasonable on his prices. He'll give you a discount if you mention you're a forum member too.

Marine Corps Chevron, Volume 3, Number 22, 3 June 1944

MCB Assignments

Lt.Col. George I. Springer to RD from overseas as relief for Capt. J. H. Rath, paymaster, who is awaiting transfer orders.

Pre-WWII, a lot of reserve aviation units

WWII... Puget Sound, H&S Co 2d Marines, HQBn MCRD San Diego...

As stated, ancestry accounts are invaluable when researching Marines

Beautiful cigarette case, I love this kind of stuff