What do we Really Know? The Fur Cap of the North China Marines

Dirk

As to value. Until this can be proven 100% that this is a early China Marine hat, it is as valuable as the price one would pay for a old fur cap with enambled diamond. As noted above this hat has a number of positives indicators, but I still have more research to do before I could even estimate. However, if your talking about a late 1930's Tientsin marked cap with line company diamond, a few prices I have seen ran 2-4K.

As to value. Until this can be proven 100% that this is a early China Marine hat, it is as valuable as the price one would pay for a old fur cap with enambled diamond. As noted above this hat has a number of positives indicators, but I still have more research to do before I could even estimate. However, if your talking about a late 1930's Tientsin marked cap with line company diamond, a few prices I have seen ran 2-4K.

Wow, thanks. I'll have to be on the lookout for one haha.

Jacob

I have already expressed my congratulations to Dirk on what I feel is an authentic mid-1920's to early 1930's Chinese made winter fur cap, most likely made from Siberian weasel (the most prevalent and cost effective traded fur in China) and made in the Russian Ushanka style. Although it doesn't conform to known examples in the Marine collection and private hands (which as Dirk pointed out, are all from the mid to late 1930's) I do believe it to have been brought back to the states by a US Marine. Dirk and I have studied hundreds of photos from his and my collection and it is obvious that there was a decent amount of variation in style and color throughout the years. We will probably never know how many different makers existed and whether there was any form of quality control or regulations by the Marines or Army in regards to style and color. The enameled diamond is a no doubt original and conforms to all original known aspects.

Mike Manifor

• 1 month later...

Recently, I picked up a copy of a China Marine publication that had this image that illustrates my point perfectly, of the two styles of fur caps being worn at the same time...in this case during Winter 1939-40.

fur hats.jpeg

• 8 months later...

I thought I would add and update on my hat investigation....first here is a conventional mid-to late 1930's cap. Textbook when compared to known examples in the Marine Corps museum collection. Not much more to add on the construction or color at this time. The fur is most likely rabbit....or so saith a long established fur store who inspected both caps. As soon as I pulled it out of the case both women said "rabbit" in about 1 second and then proceeded to show me examples of rabbit fur and how to identify it. Rabbit is cheap, warm and provides a large pelt. My first cap that opened this thread is a bit more interesting....Beaver. Beavers were, are found along the Mongolian border and many of those have rust colored pelts....just like the original hat posted before it was dyed. Beaver is a far more durable than rabbit and more costly. The hat is Chinese made, that we are pretty certain on, having many sub components that match known Legation Guard hats. This week the Rupertus family contacted me and were kind enough to provide scans of photos from the Generals collection. Here are two interesting photos, one of an unidentified Marine with no Diamond and some Mounted Marines c. 1929-30, the first year the enameled diamond was worn....the shape of some of these caps match the Beaver cap....but again we can't tell cap color. Private purchase, or for civilian use, or issued is still unclear. In two weeks it is back to the Museum to examine their holdings again. Both photos courtesy of the Rupertus Family Collection.

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_1920.PNG

• 4 years later...

Recently a pair of Chinese made fur caps have appeared on eBay….I am fairly certain neither one is an actual China Marine issued and worn cap. In the past few years I have handled more confirmed examples, and I have learn more about the features of a true China Marine fur cap since I wrote the article….since the seller references this article I thought I would add my two cents worth….I don’t favor either hat….nor do I like the diamonds.  Although there are still many knowledge gaps in our understanding of the Peking Mar Det Diamonds….these come no where near the construction of what confirmed examples looked like.