1943-1947 Navy Grey Rates for C.P.O.s & P.O.s!

hhbooker2

Now the bullion mailman is nice...aside from Aviation Pilot and Pharmacist's Mate, I usually can't drum up any interest in the gray rating badges.

-dan

DAN: Here is a grey rate for Chief Aviation Pilot and three jackets, two in grey, cannot recall who posted this image? Anyway, they do have an impressive display. The CAP has a yellow specialty mark, but this is not mibe either, might belong to John C. Helvey of Missouri? I want to thank whomever owns the 3 chief's jackets!

thumbsup.gif

post-837-1225769020.jpg

post-837-1225769094.jpg

Early Steward CPO

DAN: Nice rate, thanks for showing it here, hope others will also show their grey rates here too! All are welcome! thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker thumbsup.gif Here is a rate from Mustang Guy for a Emergency Service Ratings, one with a letter "P" and another with a letter "T."

post-837-1225828519.jpg

post-837-1225828573.jpg

Hi,

I just picked this gray navy jumper up, I thought this would be a good place for it. It has the S on the rating for shore patrol .

Jason

post-2501-1225834347.jpg

Hi,

I just picked this gray navy jumper up, I thought this would be a good place for it. It has the S on the rating for shore patrol .

Jason

post-2501-1225834347.jpg

Thanks, Jason! Nice find.

I wouldn't mind seeing a full discussion on the use of gray jumpers for paygrades E1-E6. I caught a small paragraph or so written about usage on sailors below CPO in Sarge's old Crow's Nest newsletters. Something about landing parties or shore patrol...or something like that.

-dan

I wouldn't mind seeing a full discussion on the use of gray jumpers for paygrades E1-E6. I caught a small paragraph or so written about usage on sailors below CPO in Sarge's old Crow's Nest newsletters. Something about landing parties or shore patrol...or something like that.

-dan

Hi Dan,

Yes, don't know to much on these gray jumpers either. I heard about them but never saw one untill this one.

Jason

-dan

DAN and JASON: "Crow's Nest" was a love of labour with 30 other folks and myself for severak years, we put together over 400-pages and included earlier works on grey rates too before they started being seriously sought after for collections. I kept hoping and prayimg others would use the scans and put them on CDs and either give away, sell, or trade them and get the newsletter into the hands of others as I offered others the opportunity to reprint the newsletter, no takers? I hope Navy collectors here download scans we all place here, it would be a loss once we are gone. Know what I mean? Here is a Chief Torpedoman from Mustang Guy! :unsure: Sarge Booker

post-837-1225875207.jpg

Hi Dan,

Yes, don't know to much on these gray jumpers either. I heard about them but never saw one untill this one.

Jason

DAN and JASON: You will not find E-1 through E-3 as seamen wore their ranks on their cuffs of their dress white and dress blue jumpers, but certain grey rates were issued for E-4 through E-7, of course it was not calle E-1 through E-7, but a Chief Petty Officer was Grade 1 and Petty Officer 1st Class was Grade 2, etc.! Here is Mustang Guy's Chief Turret Gunner, is that the correct title, anyone? pinch.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

post-837-1225875444.jpg