Military iron bed

Bob Hudson

Our local craigslist has this for sale: it's an iron bed with a Quartermaster Branch logo on it. The seller said it came from Camp Lockett, which was home for the Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th, 11th & 28th Regiments. It was located on the Mexican border in eastern San Diego County. That style of QM logo was used up through the 1920's.

qmbed.jpg

qmbedlogo.jpg

We have a couple of them, actually their pretty hard to find. Shipping would be $$$.

Off the top of my head I can't remember for sure the real Model, but I think it is M1904.

W have a bunk exhibit up now including this type, a earlier steel frame bunk and later wood and metal models. Including field cots.

BKW

• 3 weeks later...
Looks expensive! Nice. You gonna get it?

Andrew

That is the M1904 bunk. It was painted white as it's offical color. These were in use into WWII as noted in various photographs of the early 1940's

The Museum of the Soldier in Portland, Indidna has an extensive bunk collection under development.

nice condition hard to find

I checked a reprint of "A Picture Parade, Camp Lockett" which was I believe a 1943 publication of the 10th and 28th Cavalry. There are two photos of barracks and one a hospital which show beds. One of the barracks photo and the hospital photo show the later WWI/WWII spring cot and the other barracks photo shows a wooden bunk bed. The bed could have been there, but why would the Army ship an old style bed to a new post? Camp Lockett was built in 1941 just before Pearl Harbor. The bed could have come from the San Diego Barracks or Fort Rosecrans which were both older posts. It also could have been sent to Camp Lockett when it became a POW camp. Forum Support, I have an extra copy of the reprint of the picture parade, you are welcome to it, just send me a PM with your address and I will send it to you.

Ian