USMC P1912 Meat Can Haversack Pouch Question

m1a2u2

Other than color or the scant possibility of seeing a marking, is there any identifiable difference between a USMC P1912 meat can pouch and a US Army M1910 one from WW1?

Hi,

The USMC meat can pouches were made by the Philadelphia Depot.

If you're lucky, you will find one with a USMC surcharge on the back - but they are rare!

I can tell the difference but it's difficult to explain, I would need to take some photographs comparing the two and explain later. I just don't have time to dig them out today, sorry! I will try to bump this thread later with a better answer if nobody else comes along.

Cheers,

-Steve

M1, here is some info that I trust will be of some help.

Here is a close-up shot of the earliest M1912 Pack rig in my home. All 3 components have a black "U.S.M.C." Depot stamp applied, as usual, in some inconspicuous place.

Note how the attachment rings are sewn onto the Pouch; every one of the Army M1910-28 Packs are applied this way as well. What is left of the stamp can be seen near the center.

post-3226-0-91639400-1504546601_thumb.jpg

Now, here is a pic of the later, more common (not that any of these Marine Corps '12s are too common, but you get my drift) Packs with a noticeably different fabrication method for the box rings...

post-3226-0-50452200-1504546995_thumb.jpg

Here is a Pouch on a dark pea-green Pack rig with gold edging, with the more "extensive" stamp.

The threading rings are attached identically to the previous one.

post-3226-0-72698200-1504547202_thumb.jpg

Thanks Flage guy. So if I want to find one to out on my early 1915 vintage pack, I would want to look for one like that shown I your first post, USMC surcharge?

I'd say so; check them carefully for the stamp, which might require looking on the inside of the Pouch. Other than that, they are hardly different from the Army Pouches.

Also, the Pack Carriers for these have only one row of attachment slits, as opposed to 3 on the later ones.

Good hunting!

post-3226-0-92967500-1504549486_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Your collection of USMC meatcan pouches with the stamps is amazing! I have two...I will pull them out today. Your reply with photos is better than what I could have provided.

Cheers,

-Steve

Jim,

Your collection of USMC meatcan pouches with the stamps is amazing! I have two...I will pull them out today. Your reply with photos is better than what I could have provided.

Cheers,

-Steve

Thanks, buddy- you should post yours nonetheless! The more evidence of what to look for, the better :excl:

Here is two more, one is still attached to its original and complete unissued pea-green pack so I didn't want to risk taking it off.

36217033344_a60c140f58_b.jpg

36217032684_54edd19f70_b.jpg

Regards,

-Steve