Glider airborne patch variation

1canpara

Hey guys, I just picked this up and I'm pretty new to airborne garrison cap patches and have never seen this variation on the glider airborne patch. Is it rare or unusual? It almost looks like a bomber or a fighter plane.

Thanks, Rick

post-9167-0-66638300-1504195544.jpg

post-9167-0-11878100-1504195554.jpg

Yes, that is the harder to find variation with 6 parachute cord strands. Yes, this variation tends to look like more of a bomber than a glider. It's been a while since I closely monitored airborne cap devices on ebay but from several years ago I would make an educated WAG that you would see 12-15 five stranded ones for every one like yours. Your example would tend to get double the price of a 5 stranded. $65-75

Airborne/glider devices have dropped pretty significantly in the past few years....unless you get a signal, medical version, or a 101st version.

Thanks very much! That's great to know, I'll have to study up on the different variations and styles. I'm glad to know this is one of the more desirable ones in any case!

There's no back story or history to this cap, but there are a couple of laundry numbers in it that I hope to research a bit.

Rick

I believe these are late to early post war period. I don't recall seeing one in a WW2 grouping, so uncommon but

not rare by any means.

That is what the Keller's say in Emblems of Honor. "WWII to Occupation"

They call it the 6 suspension line variations. They have a great photo of it being worn by an 11th AB Soldier. In the write up of the photo they use "late war."

Thanks for making me get the book out to pin point. Even when you have a reference book you should use it. Shame on me. =O

The bubble on the top of the glider is actually characteristic of early experimental gliders which were based on the gliders used by the Germans earlier in WWII. I'm attaching a photo of one of the earlier types of gliders which graced the cover of "Life" Magazine in 1942.

For some reason, collectors have called this patch the "bomber" variation because the bubble on the top is similar to the top turrets on WWII bombers. They exist with both red and light blue borders.

Over the years, I have encountered a number of these patches still in the hands of veterans. The vast majority of those veterans were 11th Airborne vets, but I have also found them in the hands of 82nd veterans. They undoubtedly were issued during the war, but they do appear in the possession of 11th Airborne vets from the occupation.

Allan

post-151-0-84187600-1504269570.jpg

I don't have the book but have had a look at it.
The 11th is a little tricky in dating these since their occupation duty lasted until 1949, four years after the war. I have NEVER seen a photograph of anyone wearing this patch variation during the war, and the few portraits I have seen with it in wear have all been post war. That being said I lean more toward the occupation period on these. Still, a nice patch worth having.

That is what the Keller's say in Emblems of Honor. "WWII to Occupation"

They call it the 6 suspension line variations. They have a great photo of it being worn by an 11th AB Soldier. In the write up of the photo they use "late war."

Thanks for making me get the book out to pin point. Even when you have a reference book you should use it. Shame on me. =O

The reason being is that both the 11th and 82nd remained beyond the war, unlike other Airborne Divisions that had been deactivated soon after the war ended.

The bubble on the top of the glider is actually characteristic of early experimental gliders which were based on the gliders used by the Germans earlier in WWII. I'm attaching a photo of one of the earlier types of gliders which graced the cover of "Life" Magazine in 1942.

For some reason, collectors have called this patch the "bomber" variation because the bubble on the top is similar to the top turrets on WWII bombers. They exist with both red and light blue borders.

Over the years, I have encountered a number of these patches still in the hands of veterans. The vast majority of those veterans were 11th Airborne vets, but I have also found them in the hands of 82nd veterans. They undoubtedly were issued during the war, but they do appear in the possession of 11th Airborne vets from the occupation.

Allan