Joleco Q-1B rheostat control for heated flight suits

Bob Hudson

This provides variable power for a WWII heated flight suit. On the bottom of the unit are two screws for connection to the aircraft's 24 volt electrical system. There are two outlet plugs: one provides a fixed 24v while the other is connected to the unit's rheostat control (variable resistor) and the user can adjust the power.

1.jpg

Here's a WWII poster showing the similar Q-1A rheostat control unit:

rheostat1.jpg

RustyCanteen

Neat find Bob! There used to be an old-time surplus place with a few of those, they were olive drab I think. Is that black paint on that control box? Wonder if it was a difference in contracts/specs/or an early/late thing. Definitely original paint!

Neat find Bob! There used to be an old-time surplus place with a few of those, they were olive drab I think. Is that black paint on that control box? Wonder if it was a difference in contracts/specs/or an early/late thing. Definitely original paint!

This is black as are the others I've found online.

RustyCanteen

Interesting, the ones I saw had OD paint on them; but also had the letting in white paint and seemed to be factory new. Perhaps a different aircraft or contract required it.

Interesting, the ones I saw had OD paint on them; but also had the letting in white paint and seemed to be factory new. Perhaps a different aircraft or contract required it.

I found one online and it looked OD, but when I color balanced it in photoshop, it was black. There may have been different makers too, using different colors. Here's the earlier model Q-1A with it's distinctive paint job. This one made by General Electric:

q1a.jpeg

phantomfixer

cool piece ....like the interphone boxes and O2 regulators...all lifelines to the aircraft...

could the OD be for armored use? I don't know if the tanks and such used electric heat suits..

all the boxes I have seen on aircraft were black original finish