Should I have bought?

cgutierrez

A few days ago the wife and I took a trip up north. On the way back we stopped off at a antique shop where I noticed a small bunch of military type knives in a locked glass display cabinet. One of the knives that I examined was a Navy WWII Ka-Bar. What may be unusual was that it was stamped "Ka-Bar" on one side of the blade just below the handguard with no markings on the other side. On the handguard itself was stamped Mk2 and USN. The tag price was $125. As the employee was closing the door she said that they could take an additional 10% off the price but I passed anyway. Since then I have been wondering if WWII Navy Ka-Bars with that particular type of marking set-up is unusual or not. I have been searching the internet to find one similarly marked but with not luck. Would a WWII Ka-Bar with both blade and handguard markings be rare or, at least, uncommon? If yes I might drive back up and see if the knife is still there. TIA

​That is one of about 20 different markings on a Mark 2 U S Navy knife. I would say a little high for a Navy, a USMC marked KA-BAR would be a good price in good condition with proper scabbard.

The double marking, blade and guard is uncommon and not often seen. The price would be mostly a matter of condition, and did it come with the correct sheath for the knife. A little hard to be more specific without good pictures.

Thanks for the comments guys. The knife came with a non-military issue leather scabbard and was only in fair condition.

CG

I guess for me it depends on why. If you have the discretionary funds, and are in the process of getting educated, you might make the purchase.

I am a firm believer in buying it when you find it. Regret for not doing so and missing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity....

If I overspend on a knife but stay in my discretionary budget, it is an education well spent. We don't always have the luxury to do indepth research before making a decision.

I think I have 3 buying categories:

Education - goes to flip or collection

Flips

Collection