M1941 Shelter Half Attachment Question

m1a2u2

I have an early set of M1941 Depot packs with the riveted strap attachments. When I go to wrap my shelter half around it in the horseshoe shape, only he haversack as a strap to tie it down on top. The knapsack has no straps along to side to keep it secure. What is used to secure it to the pack system on the sides?

The official instructions just say, "bind the roll with the shelter tend straps and attach it to the transport pack. If you have only two blanket roll straps, thy must be used in the knapsack blanket roll strap loops for this pack."

It tells me how to bind the roll, but how do I attach it?

There are strap sets.

On your pack there should be a canvas sleeve attachment that is sewn so the SINGLE straps can slip through.These straps are not permanently attached to the pack.

The "purist-correct" blanket roll straps for your rig would be this one- early box buckles and square tips.

I made sure that all the Pack rigs here had the corresponding straps...and it took some time to get them all squared away!

post-3226-0-90064500-1504111537_thumb.jpg

Here is a completed M1941 rig (without a horseshoe roll), with a good view of how the bedroll straps are attached through the loops provided as Doyler described.

post-3226-0-26177000-1504111941_thumb.jpeg