Set of Pilot Wings Sold on Ebay for $560.00!

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

I was watching this set of wings on ebay and they sold for $560.00!

I thought they were a pretty cool set of sweetheart wings, but $560?

What are they, and are they worth that kind of money?

post-125711-0-58939600-1503967398.jpg

post-125711-0-59920700-1503967412.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-OR-BEFORE-RARE-PIERCED-STERLING-PILOT-WINGS-OVER-3-INCHES-/352147069241?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=GlJ0Ilb0MSsg%252F2uHSn1D1gnEAKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It was also done heavily in Mexico and North Africa.

I am far far from being an expert on these. But when I first saw them I was the inking Mexico. Beautiful wings

And I have also seen C.B.I. fillegree (sp?) wings. Bob

Bob,

You are right.

This type of work is also done in India.

Does anyone know the buyer? The reason I ask is that sometimes there are fake auctions where a seller either uses several Ebay accounts to bid on their own items, or they are in collusion with others who bid up items to prices that seem quite out of line. The underlying purpose is to establish a "value based on auction results" and then later sell their items again to real collectors who now think that the value is much higher than they would have been willing to pay previously. I do not know if that is what happened in this particular case, but the very high selling price for a sweetheart wing makes me wonder if this could have been what was going on.

When this listing first showed up on ebay I contacted a couple of collector friends to discuss them. We all thought they were beautiful and would like to have them, but the consensus was they would sell for very big bucks. I know who won them but am not at liberty to say. I am not sure who the number two bidder was.

Does anyone know the buyer? The reason I ask is that sometimes there are fake auctions where a seller either uses several Ebay accounts to bid on their own items, or they are in collusion with others who bid up items to prices that seem quite out of line. The underlying purpose is to establish a "value based on auction results" and then later sell their items again to real collectors who now think that the value is much higher than they would have been willing to pay previously. I do not know if that is what happened in this particular case, but the very high selling price for a sweetheart wing makes me wonder if this could have been what was going on.

That is called Shill bidding. Illegal on E-Bay, if you're caught they'll kick you off. I once saw an irregularity with bidders on something I was bidding on. E-Bay investigated and kicked both off.

It's a beautiful wing. The feathering they've subtely incorporated into the filigree work is outstanding. Really a true work of art! As far as the price it went for, one can't really say "it's high" unless there are a couple similar wings that have sold to base off of. In the case of a really unique and possibly one of a kind wing such as this the price really can't be set. It's simply a case of how badly do two bidders want it? The winning bidder thought it was worth the price, he wouldn't bid $600 on a wing he only wanted to spend $300 on. Personally for a possibly one of a kind CBI wing that really is above the rest the price isn't bad. So to the winner I say congratulations on having an outstanding new addition!

Great looking wings and worth every penny.

I have an ATC di made in this way, true work or art and I don't believe it is sweetheart item.

The di have is undoubtedly made for the uniform.

I wouldn't be surprised if this also intended the same way.

It was probably purchased overseas as a souvenir item.

Great looking wing.

John