WWII PG102/CB Carrier Pigeon Box - Opinions?

MasonK

Hi All,

Posting this for Anton67, who picked it up at a flea market today. WWII era Signal Corps Carrier Pigeon box.

Not too many references online, but from those I've seen, markings/material seem to match, however the same can be said about reproductions I've seen. Also appears that there were quite a few variations to design (some with 4 bars on the side, some with 2, OD7 and OD3 handle).

No markings other than PG102/CB imprinted into the top. I believe the originals I've seen had instructions glued on the inner lid. I've also seen examples with an orange, square stamp and a Signal Corps placard.

In any case, anyone familiar with these who can determine if this is authentic?

Photos below. Thanks in advance!

post-29885-0-72599400-1503841499_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-27995100-1503841502_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-57410000-1503841506_thumb.jpg

TheGrayGhost

Looks original to me. I have one just like it that I have completely outfitted.

You are correct, there is very little info on these. I think there ended up being A LOT of surplus on these items because the pigeon corps changed so drastically during the war. At first they were thought to be highly necessary, but wireless proved itself quickly to be fast and reliable and it became clear that pigeons were outdated and obsolete. They only lingered on as a "backup" or for paratroopers dropped behind enemy lines. I think that is also why so many of these carriers do not have the signal corps stamps on them, many produced, few procured.

I never knew they made reproductions of these. Considering originals are half the cost of the reproductions, doesn't make much sense to me. The feeder, however, are rarer than pigeon teeth!

• 2 weeks later...
Chickenpuffball

Hi All,

Posting this for Anton67, who picked it up at a flea market today. WWII era Signal Corps Carrier Pigeon box.

Not too many references online, but from those I've seen, markings/material seem to match, however the same can be said about reproductions I've seen. Also appears that there were quite a few variations to design (some with 4 bars on the side, some with 2, OD7 and OD3 handle).

No markings other than PG102/CB imprinted into the top. I believe the originals I've seen had instructions glued on the inner lid. I've also seen examples with an orange, square stamp and a Signal Corps placard. 

In any case, anyone familiar with these who can determine if this is authentic?

Photos below. Thanks in advance!

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif php7wIIBIAM.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif phpAbGpctAM.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif phpEpljAsAM.jpg

Age looks right to me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Looks exactly like several I've owned in the past, however mine did have the labels and markings that you mentioned in the initial post. Mine also had the tin/sheet metal feeder, which I didn't realize were that rare, but now I can see how they were easily lost!

Here is mine. The first thing I noticed was that wood on the ends were not finished very well, maybe manufacturer difference. I then looked at my double decker and it is finished the same as the OP's.

post-1034-0-31631200-1505226176.jpg

post-1034-0-24938100-1505226193.jpg

post-1034-0-03619300-1505226206.jpg

Ray