USMC v. Army Colonels insignia

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

Is there any difference between the full size "bird" colonels insignia used by the USMC verse the Army in WWII. I am restoring a USMC colonels uniform and dont wan't to purchase the wrong "style" insignia. I know they should be pin back, not post.

USMC/USN full size tend to have more "rounded" features. Kind of hard to discribe without a side-by-side. If you find a pinback pair made by H-H, you've found what you're looking for.

Kurt

One thing to watch out for is the "war eagle."

That's a design where the eagle's head is turned to look towards the arrows, in his left foot (olive branches in the right foot). At least in the Army, that insignia hasn't been authorized since the 50s (but I know of at least 1 COL who's VERY intentionally wearing it, anyhow, on active duty today). Not sure if these carried over to the USMC.

Good luck in your quest!

Thrasher

I don't know of any difference between the two. In fact, if you go to the NEX, MCX or PX uniform shop and buy a pair of birds, they'll be identical. I know because I've looked at them before (this debate has come up several times in the past).

The only ranks that are different between Army and the naval forces are those up to (and including) the rank of O-5, the most pronounced being the O-4 and O-5 leaves, followed by the O-3 bars, and then the O-1 and O-2 ranks.

I did have a CO once who wore Army/Air Force O-5 leaves on his shirt. No one I know ever said anything about them, though they were noticeably different (I think they had belonged to his dad or another relative).

Dave

Oh, forgot to mention WW2... there were so many stylized Colonel's birds during WW2 that it would have been impossible to tell which ones were made for who and why. For instance, the Luxenberg made birds are very rounded and stylized...but I've only gotten them in Army/Air Force groups, and never from naval groups. The HH ones are the best bet for making sure you have the right ones (as HH typically only sold to naval forces) but as I've owned a half dozen pair of HH birds, I can tell you that there's nothing particularly "naval" about them, just a slightly different style than their more common Meyer, AE Co, etc that the Army/Air Force guys typically wore.

Dave