USN APH-6 RVAH-1 Smokin' Tigers

horridohutch

horridohutch

Just picked this up today and it is an early APH-6, I believe. What I do know is that it is from a RA-5 Vigilante squadron, RVAH-1. The Smoking Tigers or just "Heavy 1". Overall the helmet for sure has seen some use, but is in fairly good condition. It is painted grey with the graphics applied over that. The earcups I think are the only thing I would replace, if that. Overall a great addition to my collection.

post-133566-0-89945200-1503780353_thumb.jpg

horridohutch

Very nice, great find. Now you need to find a mask :)

Thanks for posting!

-Derek

Which regulator was used in the RA-5?

Hi !

I recently sniped a flight suit from the same unit on eBay, named. Is it from the same grouping ?

horridohutch

Hi !

I recently sniped a flight suit from the same unit on eBay, named. Is it from the same grouping ?

No I think your suit came out of Florida, the helmet was found on the West Coast.

horridohutch

Well now I know that the name the seller gave me was the first name of the individual. Hopefully I can come up with the previous owners history etc.

I don't know what regulator used on the RA-5C, but I won, on eBay, a REDAR hose from a former Skipper of RVAH-1. The interesting thing is that the RA-5C hose is identical to a REDAR hose, but is actually made by Oxytronics Inc. in Buffalo, and not by REDAR (R. E. Darling Co.). Manufactured 3rd quarter 1970.

Here is a picture of the Oxytronics hose. Anyone seen this manufacturer before?

post-10825-0-42267500-1503881408.jpeg

post-10825-0-61578500-1503881996.jpeg

horridohutch

I don't know what regulator used on the RA-5C, but I won, on eBay, a REDAR hose from a former Skipper of RVAH-1. The interesting thing is that the RA-5C hose is identical to a REDAR hose, but is actually made by Oxytronics Inc. in Buffalo, and not by REDAR (R. E. Darling Co.). Manufactured 3rd quarter 1970.

Here is a picture of the Oxytronics hose. Anyone seen this manufacturer before?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nope not me, well it looks like the Vigilante had a high pressure system so a mini-reg will be what I need when the time comes. So this was a hose he acquired from the PRs at the squadron?

Nope not me, well it looks like the Vigilante had a high pressure system so a mini-reg will be what I need when the time comes. So this was a hose he acquired from the PRs at the squadron?

The mini regulator would attach to the blue section on this hose along with the communications cord. The silver end of the hose would attach to the upper seat block that was part of the ejection seat. The hose would be assigned to each pilot as part of their individual flight gear.

Diagram;

post-10825-0-19413000-1503884334.jpeg

horridohutch

Picture of Mask, hose, regulator, and REDAR hose. This is the combination of equipment the Aviator would have worn.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yes, absolutely correct. An early minireg and as long as the aircraft used a high pressure system.

Oxytronics was another manufacturer of the High pressure hose. Not as common as the Redar, but they were used frequently.

Oxytronics was another manufacturer of the High pressure hose. Not as common as the Redar, but they were used frequently.

Thank you Boxerdogi, and my apologies to Horridodutch for hijacking his thread.

Chris

The one thing that was falling apart in this helmet was the ear cups and I decided to replace them with NOS and do it exactly as the old ones came out. The PRs back then used little strips of Velcro to hold the rubber to the plastic cups which I re-used. I also discovered that this helmet was modified with newer plastic backing versus the old styro. I also wiped the inside with a damp cloth and got the old crumbly rubber out. I am generally satisfied with the change. The old rubber would have just created a mess not only of the helmet but of the shelf it sat on, so I opted with replacing the old with new old stock ones. The helmet now sits and displays nicely.

post-133566-0-83565900-1504451981_thumb.jpg