CS buckle-real or fake?

This is definitely not my area so I am asking those "in the know". Is this real and what is a fair price?

post-2527-0-30421400-1503685335.jpg

post-2527-0-07465700-1503685367.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry, it sounds like somebody thought that $700.00 is a fair market value!! Now it's time for me to go back through my Civil War stuff!!

Thanks for bringing this up.

Wiley

It looked okay from the pictures. These were sand cast versus wax castings as with later reproductions. If I recall that particular example is unique to a specific maker however I couldn't pin it down. IF original $700 was very reasonable for that example. Confederate officer sword plates are very rare and that example being not broken with the exception of missing its wreath, is a choice piece. A correct matching wreath may turn up for it.

• 10 months later...

Even the experts get fooled by the repos. Even when they have them in hand. Some collectors won't trust authenticity unless they dug the item themselves but most of us don;t have that luxury. The best assurance of authenticity is to study, study, study, be patient and acquire a buckle with solid provenance from someone who you know to be honest and knowledgeable.

Ron