9 Pocket Velcro-Backed Panel

MikeL

Greetings all,

I came across this panel the other day. I have no idea what it is and haven't been able to find anything in searches, either via Google or this forum. There are no markings on this piece except the snap backs are marked DOT - DOT.

The panel is made of the older OG nylon cordura, like the duffel bags. It is 9-1/2" wide x 12" high. It has hook side velcro covering the back, 7 male snaps (3 per side, 1 at the top center), and the corner snaps have loop side velcro behind them.

Each pocket is about 1-3/4" wide x 3-1/2" high x 1-1/2" deep and is closed by a snap and velcro.

Does anyone have any ideas on this piece?

post-282-0-53050700-1503670156.jpgpost-282-0-07021700-1503670183.jpg

Thanks.

Mike - Good morning. Someone smarter than me will chime in and give you a more definitive answer. Your piece is designed to attach to the back of early OEF/OIF plate carriers/OTVs/IOTVs/etc. There were different back panels that could be attached depending on mission. My gut tells me it is a Paraclete manufactured piece for their RBAs. Like I said more knowledgeable collectors will provide a definitive answer but that's the direction I think your headed.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with you both. I'm not familiar with non-standard issue (standard issue being PASGT or Interceptor) armor but it does remind me of an Eagle or other manufacture. It did remind me of a grenade vest but I don't have anything handy now to check what will fit. The male snaps are also what threw me as most of what I've seen had female snaps on panels rather than males.

Looks like panel for early modular body armor from 90s to early 00s, typically seen used by SWAT and other law enforcement/federal tactical teams. The attachment system is consisted of Velcro and snaps. Hard to judge on photo for size but pouches may be for flashbangs and panel looks large, probably for back of body armor, easy access for team members in behind.

post-4082-0-31506100-1503688668_thumb.jpg

OK, sounds good. But the one thing that keeps sticking out are the male rather than female snaps. All the modular vests I've seen with snaps looked like they had the male half on the vest and the female half on the panel. Are there any vests with the female side on the vest? And the male halves are on the outer face side rather than the inner side.

As to a vehicular panel, that's an idea I hadn't considered.