Displaying uniforms and avoiding sunlight fading

oakleaf777

I have a number of my collection of uniforms hanging on a rack in a spare room. I like having them out where I can look at them and enjoy them much more than when I had them hanging in a closet or packed away in storage bins. My concern is that no matter where in the room I put the rack, there is always sunlight on them from a window for at least some time during the day. Depending on the time of year, as the intensity of sunlight varies from winter to summer dramtically here in the northern lattitudes, the sunlight falls on the uniforms for no more than a few hours. Also, Im not sure if it matters, but the sunlight is shining from a window on the other side of the room. I really enjoy having the collection out to look at and enjoy, and would appreciate it if anyone has any advice on handling sunlight when displaying their collection. Thanks.

Thank you both for your input. Unfortunately, I dont think blinds or curtains will be an option in my case. My significant other is very tolerant of my filling up the spare corners of the house with ancient jackets, caps, medals, etc, etc, however I think blocking off the natural light in the room would not go over well. So, back in the closet they'll have to go.

I have a den that is two stories. I have blinds on the lower window that I never open. MY wife tolerates that only because she never goes in this room. The upper windows though are too high for blinds so I placed a UV protectant film on that glass. You might research that option. In my case, those windows don't really allow direct sunlight into the room so I feel a bit safe. Once again, just research the effectiveness of the UV film as a possible option for you. It is not cheap, but still probably less expensive than blinds. Kevin

If sunlight is falling on those uniforms - even for just a short period each day - they WILL fade. You need to block the sun somehow, whether it be blinds, UV film, or throwing a cover over them.

Thank you both for your input. Unfortunately, I dont think blinds or curtains will be an option in my case. My significant other is very tolerant of my filling up the spare corners of the house with ancient jackets, caps, medals, etc, etc, however I think blocking off the natural light in the room would not go over well. So, back in the closet they'll have to go.

I wonder if it would/might be worth a try to see if she could accept a reflective and/or UV filtering window film?

There are several vendors:

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/home-window-solutions-us/

"Hon, if you let me put this on those windows, I promise you'll hardly be able to tell the difference!" :rolleyes: