Unit marked Imperial Japanese Navy flag from Okinawa brought back by AAF Captain

SEABEE SON

Here is a rare souvenir from the Battle of Okinawa. It is a unit marked, Imperial Japanese Navy Flag. It is about 30" by 50". It was likely from a Navy ground unit, either combat troops or perhaps airbase personnel. It definitely saw some action. The colors are bleeding a bit, which is not unusual. It is made of cotton.

post-101060-0-77267600-1503639169_thumb.jpg

Here is the provenance.

post-101060-0-72775200-1503639216_thumb.jpg

A close up of the markings.

post-101060-0-22501800-1503639428_thumb.jpg

一中二小
Ichi-Chū Ni-Shō

1st Company 2nd Platoon
中隊 Chūtai = Company
小隊 Shōtai = Platoon

My dad was there at Naha same time, at Quartermaster Depot. As he had unlimited access to harbor and bases, and the camp was small, they undoubtedly crossed paths. They had Japanese prisoners at the camp.

My dad was there at Naha same time, at Quartermaster Depot. As he had unlimited access to harbor and bases, and the camp was small, they undoubtedly crossed paths. They had Japanese prisoners at the camp.

That's interesting! Did he bring back any souvenirs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, a beautiful knife, wrapped grip, burgundy woven silk tassels, with original scabbard. It was stolen at a history class show and tell during lunch when I was in 7th grade 51 years ago. I put a plea in the newspaper a couple years ago for it's return. No response