WWII USN CORPSMAN HELMET

Screamingeagles101

• 5 weeks later...

This helmet is now up on eBay with an asking price of $5100. At most this is a $500 helmet (maybe a little more if someone really wants it). The liner was added for display. It's a real corpsman lid for sure but very salty and certainly not worth this amount.

Screamingeagles101

This helmet is now up on eBay with an asking price of $5100. At most this is a $500 helmet (maybe a little more if someone really wants it). The liner was added for display. It's a real corpsman lid for sure but very salty and certainly not worth this amount.

If you saw on the forum,

I have it listed for much less with a best offer.

I always start very high on eBay, I can always come down. I know I'm not gonna get that eBay price lol. I'm also in no rush to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burning Hazard

Guys come on, he's free to set whatever asking price he want, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

We are not an internet price police.

Pat

If we are to be seen as caretakers of this stuff, listing a helmet as it was listed sends an awful message. It's the hope some poor sucker gets caught. If it is no longer of interest to you, maybe it would be better to be realistic in the listing in hopes of encouraging the hobby. I'm not saying you need to give it away, but show some integrity in dealing with people.

All that being said, Burning Hazard is right in you can do as you please in listing it. I've just seen a number of times where you come across more car salesman than history buff. To me that leads folks to question your motives. Considering recent events I don't know that this is the direction you really want to go within the "community" here.

Just my opinion of course

I see nothing wrong with questioning the price of a helmet on ebay whether it is a member here or not. Screamingeagles101 presented it here and a short time later wants to sell it. No harm, no foul. HOWEVER, the price is way out of line and makes it appear to be all about the money and not the history. Again, USMF member or not, if we see this type of price gouging on eBay, it gets discussed if it is brought up.

I'm friends with a well known CW firearms collector here in north Texas. He's been collecting forever and has everything rare times 10. I was talking to him a few months back, and he's disgusted there's no young interest in the hobby. I told him to look in the mirror. Young people can't and won't afford the insane prices asked on lots of these collectibles. It's essentially become the same collectors shuffling their goods back and forth to one another. To each their own and I know everyone wants to make a huge financial score when it comes time to sell. All this said, I'd be surprised if this helmet fetches that amount of money. Cool helmet regardless!

This is why I stay far away from helmets. Because of the amount of fakes and misrepresentations, I don't even bother trying to learn much about the history. A little information is a dangerous thing. Somewhat ironic considering my avatar.

This is why I stay far away from helmets. Because of the amount of fakes and misrepresentations, I don't even bother trying to learn much about the history. A little information is a dangerous thing. Somewhat ironic considering my avatar.

Makes perfect sense.

Information is Key and knowledge is power

It's one thing to start high. It's another to start Rediculous.

Hopefully someone won't get rooked.

But as was stated, he's free to list the helmet for as much as he wants.

A little information is a dangerous thing?????

Not sure I agree with that statement.

1) This is why I stay far away from helmets.

2) Because of the amount of fakes and misrepresentations, I don't even bother trying to learn much about the history.

3) A little information is a dangerous thing.

4) Somewhat ironic considering my avatar.

1) Why is it that members who don't collect helmets like to post in the helmet section telling us that "this"(whatever this is) is why they don't collect helmets?

2) No one said this helmet was a fake or a misrepresentation. We said it was overpriced. If you don't bother learning about history, why are you on a collectors forum which is all about history?

3) You are right that a little information is a dangerous thing, that is why most of us opt for learning as much as possible rather than just a "little".

4) Agreed

• 5 weeks later...
Screamingeagles101

$5100 seems a little overboard for "very high" lol

+1

Yikes, it sold for $400!

Apparently $5100 was more than 10 times what it was worth.

$5100 + $80 * $20 - 6% * 1000 ^ 2 -14,000,251 -187,000/ 2^ 5 = $400

It worked out exactly as planned ;)

Screamingeagles101

Ya, by the buyer who just waited to get the good deal.

& congrats to that buyer

Hopefully it was someone on here.