WWII USN CORPSMAN HELMET

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, very happy to add another WW2 medic helmet to my collection. This is my first Corpsman. It is a front seam swivel bail with an early Westinghouse liner in it(Note the unpainted A washers).

There appears to be a laundry number on the webbing. Unfortunately, it is very hard to make out. Anyone have a guess to what theater this one might have belonged to?

Please enjoy the pics and I would love to here your opinions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

Also, does anyone know what "TCA" stands for? At least that's what it looks like on the front of the helmet.

stealthytyler

I doubt it is a corpsman helmet. It could possibly be a shipboard hospital apprentice lid. However, if there is a laundry number on the lid then it is likely not a Navy helmet. If Army, the blue paint wouldn't make sense. Could be wwii or post war. Either way, cool looking lid.

stealthytyler

Also, does anyone know what "TCA" stands for? At least that's what it looks like on the front of the helmet.

Looks like a 4 to me. I would say TC is independent of the 4. There also apears to be at least one more number under the TC that matches the color of the 4. It really looks like a shipboard navy helmet to me. Are you sure there is a laundry number on the chinstrap instead of a navy service number? How many digits is the number?

Screamingeagles101

Oh my bad, I thought you said the laundry # was on chinstrap. Yeah, I agree the liner is not original to lid.

Thanks, it could be a navy service number. I am not sure it is too hard to read

Patchcollector

IIRC,the Army had(and may still have?) a small Transport "fleet" of boats.Could this be where it came from?

ParanormalTrooper

Very, very nice helmet!

I was seriosly considering this one on eBay but alas I had an unexpected expense arise.

Great lid, glad to see someone on the forum got it.

Screamingeagles101

Very, very nice helmet!

I was seriosly considering this one on eBay but alas I had an unexpected expense arise.

Great lid, glad to see someone on the forum got it.

Thanks a lot!

I really wish there was a way to find out what that writing means on the front

I would say TC is independent of the 4

I agree with stealthytyler. It almost looks like there are two "layers" of alpha numerics on this one, maybe even a dark colored number beneath the white "C". The "T.C." may simply be the wearer's initials, added to ensure it doesn't get worn by others on the ship.

Tom

I know this helmet well. I purchased it from Troy 3 yrs ago who got it in an auction and I recently sold it at the last SOS. It's a nice salty Navy lid. Whether corpsman or hospital shipboard, I'm unsure. I was never able to decide what the Letters and numbers meant on the front. Glad you found it! I had to liberate it for some other helmet purchases.

Screamingeagles101

I know this helmet well. I purchased it from Troy 3 yrs ago who got it in an auction and I recently sold it at the last SOS. It's a nice salty Navy lid. Whether corpsman or hospital shipboard, I'm unsure. I was never able to decide what the Letters and numbers meant on the front. Glad you found it! I had to liberate it for some other helmet purchases.

Wow, this one gets around. I do t think it will be moving much for the time being haha

stealthytyler

You see a lot of WWII navy lids with numbers on the front that either correspond to a battle station, inventory or ship number. I would assume that the number 4 and whatever number is before that is just that. The TC could be a job title abbreviation or someones initials. Who knows.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Liner looks like it's in a lot better shape than the shell, may not be original to it. Nice helmet regardless!

Screamingeagles101

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's funny, the last 3 of my helmet purchases have been Navy Helmets. I feel like many more collectors are beginning to take an interest in Navy helmets. I think I may have caught the bug haha

da23d06e126f6409fb89762425a71c0f.jpg

Screamingeagles101

I like navy helmets too Screamin. Nice helmet. Please show the rest of your collection.

Thanks.

Ronnie

Thanks. Here is the latest family photo

Posted Image