Question for the Grenade Experts Out There

cperkins510

My dad and I were recently going through some boxes that had belonged to my grandfather. One of the items we found was a WWII era pineapple style grenade. I'm sure it is inert because he was always very safety conscious with his rifle collection, but I would like to know for sure. Can anyone recommend signs to look for, or better yet, a good means of having it inspected?

The most obvious sign is if there is a large hole on the bottom. Could you possibly post pictures?

Jacob

ALWAYS treat any unknown ordnance with respect as if it were live.

There is no "inspector" besides the local bomb squad that will confiscate it and blow it up (and not give you back the pieces).

Garandomatic

Is there any danger to unscrewing a GI MkII to see if it is filled and has a live fuze? I have read that Japanese grenades are highly dangerous because of the picritol explosive that crystallizes over time leaching into the threads. MkIIs had TNT flakes or black powder, right?

Hey thanks for the responses guys. Beyond my pay grade! I think my dad and I will just play it safe and turn it in.

Good thought, but the top and bottom look rusted solid together. Going with plan A. I'll try to get you a pic later. Thanks!

Pictures before you take it in would still be good...if it isn't questionable, better to find out...since once you turn it in, you will ever see it again, even if it is inert.