Glider Rider badge & oval - ID please

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Went out picking this weekend and picked a glider badge. It came with an oval. I would like to know what unit it is associated with. Thanks in advance.

post-9131-0-34091300-1503428434_thumb.jpg

Being a fully embroidered oval you may want to take clear pics front and back of this one, it may be a 517th oval.

easterneagle87

Shot the glider and oval in the car with the phone so I could brag to a friend.

Here's a better shot. The outer ring looks gray. I don't know if it is dirty or it's just that color.

Hope this helps.

post-9131-0-63831300-1503431207_thumb.jpg

post-9131-0-58631800-1503431215_thumb.jpg

The first photo looks like it has a white border, but the second sure looks grey! I'd call it a 517th PIR oval. Great score!

Allan

Brian Dentino

A simple question, just trying to learn: wasn't the 517th a para unit only? The glider badge is throwing me.......help me learn please. Thank you.

Brian Dentino

Good point. They were bought together and the wing was not attached. The pin holes match though.

I notice different lighting on the 2 sets of pictures as well.....perhaps either putting it on a white background (t-shirt?) may show the contrast if it is a light gray 517 and/or taking a picture of it in natural lighting? Either way, it is a nice WWII oval so you did well with it either way. If it is a 325th oval I may be interested in it if you decide to move it along. Also, was there a pic of the back of the glider badge? Marked Sterling?