Help with M1 Liner Repair

I have a WWII helmet liner with a broken off A washer. Webbing is all present and in good shape. Painted rivet is still in the liner. I need to find a A washer but any ideas how I can save original painted rivet and attach a new washer?

All suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Craig

post-12393-0-19328400-1503365429_thumb.jpg

post-12393-0-37096400-1503365443_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

I've come across dozens of nice liners with that exact same A-washer missing; always wondered why and how those got pulled out while the rest of the webbing remained minty? Those A-washers are pretty strong too, someone would have to use a tool to pull them out. The great mystery....

Anyways, I had a the exact same problem and ended up sending it to J Murray who put in a new rivet and correct, matching WWII A-washer; nobody sees it since it sat inside a shell. You could re-paint it with matching paint if it bothers you.

Pat

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Let me guess.....your liner was made by Firestone.

The webbing kits in many of these last production run (which will have mold in marks for Firestone or Firestone over Inland) were made too small for the liners. The excess tension in the webbing cause the metal eyelets installed in the webbing to shear the brass rivets behind the A washers at the rear attachment of the cradle.

It's not too hard to replace an A washer and rivet. It's as simple as drilling out the old rivet, inserting the new rivet from the outside of the liner and the A-Washer/webbing together on the new rivet through the inside, and then setting the rivet with the appropriate tool and hammer. I believe you can buy the tool on JMurrayInc1944. Only problem I see is since the webbing may be taught, it may be hard to keep everything together to set the rivet. Also, don't know how long the new rivet will hold, seeing as the old one didn't.

https://jmurrayinc1944.com/search?q=Rivet

Aspiring Vietnam era gear collector!
Juggling gear collecting and the restoration of a '77 Camaro is no fun. WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT!? ?

Harry E Stevenson - 1943-1945 - US Army 165th Photo Signal Company

Marlin Oscar Bobb - 1944-1946 - US Navy aboard the USS Boxer CV-21

Andrew Peter Bobb - 1968-1972 - US Navy aboard the USS Independence

Thanks everyone. I found his website and will make contact. And to Pepper's point it is a Firestone ?

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!