WW2 Ike Jacket help

JasonT

Hello,

I recently took a chance recently and picked up this Ike off ebay. Got it in the mail today and upon closer inspection it stands out (to me anyway) from other Ike jackets I have seen or own. I will post some photos in followup posts, but here are some things that stood out to me;

The style of the jacket itself is unlike typical ones. Lining is different, no inside pockets and no manufacturer label anywhere on it. The jacket itself is in almost mint condition and appears almost unworn.

The buttons arent the typical plain plastic ones, but appear to be brass Army General Service ones by Waterbury.

There is a 6 month overseas bar. However, no enlistment stripes and the overseas bar appears sewn too low where the enlistment stripes would go.

Pinned to inside edge of one of the sleeves is a cloth tag with S.S. stamp and date of Feb 4 1958 stamped, along with "7266 CPT" handwritten.

All the patch threads, as well as the tag, do not glow under blacklight.

According to the seller (for what its worth), a note was included, which I have, in the pocket stating the jacket was owned by "Howard Seifer - purple heart - wounded area between France and Germany". There was a Howard Seifer who served in 100th as infantryman with 398th regiment with same rank as jacket who was indeed wounded in action in December 1944 in the area of the border between France and Germany. I also know that Mr. Seifer was awarded the Legion Of Honor award from France in 2011, so not sure if that ties him to the Free French Forces Training patch that is on the right shoulder of the jacket,

Basically, I am just curious what others think of the jacket and if it appears totally made up or it is just one that the soldier had custom made?

Thanks everyone for looking!

Agreed

tailored 4 pocket into an ike.

i have one similiar to a vet from the area.He got back from Europe and his mother cut it down for him.No all were done overseas.

another one in my dads collection was a tailored one with wool 2nd airforce patch.Had a great wide belt at the bottom of the jacket

It looks like a cut down four pocket. Always liked those.

I concur.G

Agreed

tailored 4 pocket into an ike.

Thanks so much guys! So can I assume the manufacturer tag would have been located in the inside pocket of one of the lower 2 that were removed and that's why there is nothing in the cut down version?

Anyone have any idea what the pinned tag could have been? Old dry cleaner tag?

Yes the spec lable would have been in the lower right poket originally.

I would venture to say the the may have been from a dry cleaner

• 4 months later...

I was able to get some hospital and morning report records on Pfc Seifer through another member of the forum.

Looks like he was indeed wounded on December 18, 1944 in Reyersvillers, France and suffered a compound fractured hand due to artillery shrapnel.