Took a ride on the Nine-O-Nine

strawberry 9

strawberry 9

I was lucky enough to get to take a ride a few weeks ago on the B-17 Nine-O-Nine. My Wife bought me a ticket as a gift last Christmas and they finally made around to my area. The Collings Foundation goes around the country every year with some of the planes that they have in their collection. On my trip, they had the B-17, a B-24, B-25 and a P-51 Mustang! Here are a few picks of the B-17 and my flight. I have pics of the other planes also if interested. If anyone can educate me on how to upload video I have some interesting clips. Thanks!

post-100432-0-51797500-1503284029.jpg

strawberry 9

It really was a great experience and probably the fastest 30 mins I've ever had. As we were accelerating down the runway the whole plane was vibrating and you could smell the oil and gas fumes. It's amazing the power that this plane has. Once we were in the air it was as smooth as could be. We were allowed to move about the plane as we liked during the flight. The only areas off limits were the tail gun, the belly turret and, of course, the pilot/co-pilot's seats. The canopy/window on the top of the plane was wide open and I was able to poke my head out a bit, but the wind was pretty strong! Walking across the bombay from the navigator's position to the nose/bombardier's station was a little nerve wracking. I can't imagine doing it during evasive maneuvers and flak! The view from the nose was amazing though. I stood in the top turret and was able to do a 360 to get a complete view of the plane and skyline. Before I knew it, we were given the signal to take our seats again. They really give you as much time to move about as possible. No longer had I set down and strapped in and we were touching down on the runway. Quite a day!

post-100432-0-35711600-1503284293.jpg

I think it'd be easiest to upload a video clip to YouTube and post a link which I believe would post a video window automatically to the comment.

Outstanding pics! A ride in a B-17 is a memorable experience. I had mine in CAF "Texas Raider" in the early 90s. Bob

I had a ride in the Collings Foundation B-24 back when it was still "All American" back in the 90s. Went up with the brother of a B-24 co-pilot. His brother had been killed over Vienna in 1945 and a chance meeting let me research the loss for him and help him find some closure. To see him in the co-pilot seat he brother would have flown was really something. I also got to sit on the flight deck with a B-24 flight engineer who was on his first trip in a 24 since the war. Amazing stuff. Very thankful they offer the opportunity to take those rides :)

strawberry 9

I had a ride in the Collings Foundation B-24 back when it was still "All American" back in the 90s. Went up with the brother of a B-24 co-pilot. His brother had been killed over Vienna in 1945 and a chance meeting let me research the loss for him and help him find some closure. To see him in the co-pilot seat he brother would have flown was really something. I also got to sit on the flight deck with a B-24 flight engineer who was on his first trip in a 24 since the war. Amazing stuff. Very thankful they offer the opportunity to take those rides :)

That's awesome on top of awesome! Maybe I'll start saving up and ride on the B-24 someday. It really is an amazing experience for anyone who is on the fence about it. Plus, the money goes towards a good cause. Something to ponder.

• 3 weeks later...

Great pictures. Makes me wish there was something like that around here. As far as I know the closest opportunity would be going up in a two seater Spitfire at Biggin Hill, England. But the prices for that are astronomical...........

By the way, Maj. McRoy you look very much the part behind the 'wheel' of that B17.

Rene

Try finding a B-17 Ride in Western Canada. It came and I knew I had to do it. The cost was more than offset vs the regret I'd have had not doing it. How often do you get the chance and not do it. There was a guy on my flight whose young daughter had asked him to take her for a ride on another B-17 he'd told her it was too expensive and maybe they'd do it next time. Shortly thereafter she got cancer and passed. He was taking the ride in her memory. I can't image the regret he felt for not just taking her.

Also given the sheer cost of running a warbird of any type, the maintenance, fuel, insurance, parts, etc,etc. The price actually is pretty reasonable. I can't imagine the hourly cost to fly a Spitfire...

Cheers

Think it was a great day. Wish I could do the same here, but with our laws.... 38driver, visited the flak-towers at vienna 2 month ago while on holiday there. The control tower is now the home of a seaworld, and the fighting tower is still in use by the austrian army. A second fighting tower is nearby, closed for public.