M-1902 McKeever usage for Mounted Troops?

Retired Army Noncom

I came across this in the 1905 US Army Regulation for Uniforms, Weapons and Accoutrements,

"For mounted troops these items included a brass keeper and Pattern 1902 saber straps, a McKeever cartridge box in russet leather, a Pattern 1902 revolver holster, and a pattern 1902 pistol cartridge pouch in russet leather".

According to other directives, officers and 1SGTs were only issued revolver/pistol and sword during this era.

So do the above issue of a McKeever cartridge box would then be for troopers only? Issued as per regulation but everyone knows that have served, you get extra, you carry extra and you discard what is not nor ever needed for the immediate situation. I was issued a gas mask in Nam, did I or anyone else carry one...NO!!!

Thanks

Ed

VolunteerArmoury

I understand that for most of the McKeever's life it was predominantly regulated for garrison usage with either loop or later pocket cartridge belts being the norm for field. I understand that McKeever was originally intended for field use in pairs in the 1870s with the Palmer system or whatever that first one with the McKeever boxes. They were other pattern boxes such as the Dyer along the way too.

Retired Army Noncom

I somewhat thought there was a time between woven cartridge belt from the SAW and the PI, Cuba, etc and the M-1910 pocket cartridge belts from the Border Punitive action, I thought these would have been the russet M-1902 leather McKeever cartridge box.

VolunteerArmoury

There were the M1903 Cartridge Belts there were adopted along with some other styles of belts that I don't know as much about.

Retired Army Noncom

There were the M1903 Cartridge Belts there were adopted along with some other styles of belts that I don't know as much about.

Thanks.....that fills in the gap.