WC63 With Fording Kit..... D Day Veteran ?

tankdriver

Well, I discovered something new about my WC63 yesterday. I was pulling running board off on the passenger side to replace the wood spacer blocks. So, I pulled the gas can holder off and found a round hole in it. I looked at the cowl, and there is 2 bolt holes in side of it.

So it looks like my truck was equipped with a fording kit. Another interesting thing.... This truck went to Europe. No question in that as it was given to Norway after the war, and they used it till the early 90's. Then it came back to the US.

Since this truck was made on July 23, 1943, went to Europe, and had a Fording kit on it, you have to wonder if it was used on D Day.......

I tried Googling something on photos of the WC with a fording kit, but could not find anything. Does anybody have any Photos? And does anybody have a fording kit parts of a kit, or drawing of the fording kit parts?

RustyCanteen

I do not know anything about the WC series fording kits, but what you describe almost sounds more like a cold weather winterization kit; which seems plausible since the Norwegians used those a lot too. The only fording kit I am familiar with is the G503 kit, and for the most part it was totally temporary (you did not have to cut any holes). Other than the special grease (for waterproofing) and some hose for the fuel line, the only other big pieces were the air intake rubber hose, and the flexible engine exhaust pipe. The later M-series had the built-in fording arrangement, of course. Perhaps the WC series was different? The G503 winterization kit was fitted on the passenger side. Just a thought.

Yes, I finally found some photos in David books on the WC. The fording kit, the air breather hose came out the side of the hood. and the exhaust ran up next to the bed.

Do you have any photos of the heater kit.

Talking to John at Midwest, he said the WC63 never had a US heater kit.

Do you have any photos of what you are talking about?

Thanks

RustyCanteen

Hi,

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to locate the video (on YouTube) of the kit in use, I think 'CriticalPast' uploaded it. I was hoping to find the link last night and post it, but so far it has eluded me. If you google 'g503 superflex heater' or 'g503 winter heater' it should bring it up. Basically the fully outfitted jeep version consisted of a special heater that was attached to the frame inside the engine compartment; the heater ran off a fuel tank that was bolted to the passenger side tub cowl. A hole was cut in the hood for the heater exhaust. Other modifications for cold weather starting/operation consisted of a priming knob added to the dashboard, an outlet in the fender to allow special cables to connect, and special canvas 'blankets' to cover the engine compartment (hood, grill). The purpose was to allow operation in arctic conditions.

RC