Captured Allied Helmet Nets Used by The Germans

patches

I know there's a topic that shows Germans wearing U.S. Para Camo they came across and fashioned as helmet covers, but haven't seen one where captured nets are worn. These being the British types that where worn by U.S. troops in WWII. If you got or find any photos by all means add them here.

First up German Paratroopers in France with them.

post-34986-0-10532900-1503198023.jpgpost-34986-0-15639200-1503198058.jpg

Posted Image

The final insult removing Cammo cover and using it over cap but smart also removing arm eagle

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Owen, but as a reminder, those Para Camo one's have already been posted in another topic, and or with new additions would be added to that topic. Nets are the ones here.

I think I got one more in a book where a Allied net is worn by a Heine, got to go look and scan it.

36860dc043480ce412d7990422b5e35c.jpg

The final insult removing Cammo cover and using it over cap but smart also removing arm eagle

Owen

That's an interesting one, scrim and all.

huntssurplus

Wow interesting. I didn't realize this happened. I guess I thought the Germans wouldn't want to fumble with a dead body in order to get it.

Hunt

Wow interesting. I didn't realize this happened. I guess I thought the Germans wouldn't want to fumble with a dead body in order to get it.

Hunt

Need not necessarily come from a helmet of a dead GI Hunt.

Germans captured a lot of our guys in Africa/Sicily/Italy and on the reopened Western Front from start to finish.

Here are a bunch from the 29th Div in Normandy (note that that net worn by the German Paratrooper with his back to the camera is not a allied net but a small mesh chicken wire cover).

post-34986-0-84940000-1480996833.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

01f56e6f24ff24c0ef732183bfba6b79.jpg

Found another, here caption states soldiers of the 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg, on the Eastern Front, probaly late April of 1945, the one dead center has a British net on. This unit had served for many months on the Western Front, Normandy, Operation Market Garden, and The Alsace, so guessing these, Bfritish worn or American worn, were taken by a few SS Men and worn even after the Frundsberg leaves for the east, first Pomerania, then the Berlin area, and finally Saxony. Indeed the Frundsberg brought a few captured M4 Tanks along with them too to the east, these apparently being from the destroyed 43rd Tank Battalion of the 12th Armored Division at the Battle of Herrlisheim in mid January 1945

01f56e6f24ff24c0ef732183bfba6b79.jpg

Found another, here caption states soldiers of the 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg, on the Eastern Front, probaly late April of 1945, the one dead center has a British net on. This unit had served for many months on the Western Front, Normandy, Operation Market Garden, and The Alsace, so guessing these, Bfritish worn or American worn, were taken by a few SS Men and worn even after the Frundsberg leaves for the east, first Pomerania, then the Berlin area, and finally Saxony. Indeed the Frundsberg brought a few captured M4 Tanks along with them too to the east, these apparently being from the destroyed 43rd Tank Battalion of the 12th Armored Division at the Battle of Herrlisheim in mid January 1945

These are in fact Belgian SS volunteers. Sitting at right is Léon Degrelle, well-known here in Belgium for his wartime leadership in the right-wing party Rex. Therefore I assume these are not Frundsberg Division soldiers but men of the 28. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division Wallonien.

These are in fact Belgian SS volunteers. Sitting at right is Léon Degrelle, well-known here in Belgium for his wartime leadership in the right-wing party Rex. Therefore I assume these are not Frundsberg Division soldiers but men of the 28. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division Wallonien.

Yeah your right Ken thanks for the point out, I was thinking the officer looked mighty familiar at first, captioned stated 10th SS Pz Div. Found another image, this one correctly states the SS Sturmbrigade Wallonien and that it was taken in Estonia, probably then in June 1944. The net, sure still looks like an Allied one, I even zoomed in on it to double check, maybe it was a small mesh wire net, but seems like it's string, and doesn't seem to be one of those Wehrmacht types as those were wide squares, and rather billowy.

• 6 months later...

Here we see a Paratrooper of the 4th Parachute Division in Italy wearing one, sometime in 1944, the soldier with his back to the camera is of course an Fascist Italian Paratrooper of the Nembo Division, Nembo was essentially a part 4th Parachute Division.

post-34986-0-04015800-1558229723_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

A Two Tone British Para Scarf being worn a helmet net is it not? Mesh is a bit small for one of those Two Tone British specific made helmet nets no? Photo taken in Der Normandie.

camo net.jpgtnet2.jpg.4fe02e19795464b4bb3fe431b8ed4131.jpg

• 1 year later...

Seen another one, he apparently is a member of the 22nd Air Landing Division during the Battle of Leros in November 1944, the Greek Island, scene of that major debacle for the British in November 1943., an action so bad that sees the Commander of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Irish Fusiliers Lieutenant Colonel Maurice French Killed in Action, Two British Generals captured and on and on. Not sure where he acquired the net, as this division was in the USSR before being transferred to Crete, it's possible he got it during the battle off a dead or captured and or a captured wounded British Soldier.

22nd luftland leroos.jpg

25 minutes ago, patches said:

Seen another one, he apparently is a member of the 22nd Air Landing Division during the Battle of Leros in November 1944, the Greek Island, scene of that major debacle for the British in November 1943., an action so bad that sees the Commander of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Irish Fusiliers Lieutenant Colonel Maurice French Killed in Action, Two British Generals captured and on and on. Not sure where he acquired the net, as this division was in the USSR before being transferred to Crete, it's possible he got it during the battle off a dead or captured and or a captured wounded British Soldier.

22nd luftland leroos.jpg

That will be November 1943 the battle is.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...