For the Navy guys Original Oil on Canvas Battleships at sea WW1 Era

Fritz

OK navy guys out there, found this today, a sweet oil on canvas of at least three capital battleships at sea, it measures (painting) 20" x 26" and is signed but having some difficulty reading the signature. I believe this oil dates from 1916 to 1920 at the latest.

Fritz

post-4127-0-22196400-1503191938.jpg

post-4127-0-09017100-1503191946_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

Dirk, any thoughts on where to look for a professional to do some cleaning? That may also enlighten the artists signature so I can identify him, it's there, just hard to read, I hit it with a black light which helped but still difficult, who ever did this had talent and skill.

Fritz

Recommend you check with local art museums or your insurance company that might have a line on local professional restorers. I found one in my area by looking up archival framing and stumbled on to a man that does restoration work for insurance companies. As for id'ing the artist...I have found googling maritime artists and the years I think the painting fails into sometimes scores a successful match. Very laborious but might work.but I think it would be worth it!

Thanks guys!! This could be a tough one, I played around with a couple pictures of the last name to highlight it, I THINK his first name is Donald, here's a pic of the last name, thoughts

Fritz

post-4127-0-08640000-1503260446.jpg

RustyCanteen

Can you see an American flag on the ship? The tripod mast is indicative of the later 1920s (for a US battleship), but I believe other countries were using the tripod mast as early as WWI.

RustyCanteen

Great painting by the way! I was so focused on the name and ship ID that I totally forgot to offer my compliments on the nice painting.