Army of Tennessee poster 1904 & named

TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter

Got this at auction last Oct and had it framed, finally hung in the new house. Its from a news paper I believe and named to someone from 68th Reg Ohio Inf. written in ink. Any info would be great. Enjoy, Bill

post-123772-0-07961000-1503170450_thumb.jpg

To avoid confusion, "The Army of the Tennessee ", is federal while "The Army of Tennessee", is Confederate. The federal army was named for the Tennessee River while the CSA army was named for the state of Tennessee.

TreasureHunter

Thanks, explains why its a Ohio outfit soldiers name on it. Thanks. Hard to research since I cant find another like it.

Bill

The National Tribune Company printed this. The company was founded in Washington DC in the 1870s and published a newsletter/newspaper aimed at Civil War veterans. For the entire existence of the company it's primary audience was those veterans. In addition to it's newspaper the company also published books about the war, biographies of soldiers, and posters like this one of all the major armies that participated in the war. A veteran could purchase a poster about "his" army and then fill in the blank lines with his service information. These were pretty popular around the turn of the century, but not a lot of them have survived. A very nice, colorful, personalized veteran item. Great find!

By the way, if you haven't researched the soldier or the 68th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment yet, it would be well worth your time. The 68th Ohio fought in practically every important battle in the West: Ft Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Champion's Hill, Vicksburg, the campaign for Atlanta, Kennesaw Mtn, the battle of Atlanta, Jonesboro, Sherman's March to the Sea, the march through the Carolinas and Bentonville. It would be nice to find out when this Veteran served with the 68th.

TreasureHunter

Well that was kind of easy. D.R Mounts of K Company, turned into Daniel R Mounts, below is from the Official roster of the soldiers of Ohio...

post-123772-0-73185900-1503524846_thumb.png

So Daniel Mounts served from Ft. Donelson through the end of Sherman's March to the sea. The veteran on your poster saw A LOT of combat in some important Union victories and campaigns. That's a really nice bonus to your poster. Once again, you have a very nice poster. Congratulations!

TreasureHunter

Thanks for getting me interested in researching it. I bought it at an auction in Canton Ohio. Being from there its a nice piece in my collection.

Thanks

Bill

• 6 years later...

Hi there, I see this is an old post but thought I’d comment anyway.

Same as you I’ve never seen another one like this. While yours is in much better shape my multi- Great grandfather had one. He fought in “the forlorn hope”  at Vicksburg and received the CMH. 

I’m so excited to see another one of these. Thank you for posting. 

IMG_3492.jpeg