USS INDIANAPOLIS FOUND! FOLLOW LINK

Thor996

Incredible news. I met an Indianapolis survivor, "Edgar Harrell" at the SOS a few years back. I hope he and other survivors are still around to see this.

Incredible news. I met an Indianapolis survivor, "Edgar Harrell" at the SOS a few years back. I hope he and other survivors are still around to see this.

19 still alive-7 made the reunion. Edgar Harrell is alive and is the last surviving marine. He and his wife just celebrated 70th anniversary

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/271952-in-honor-of-those-who-paid-the-ultimate-price-on-the-indy/&do=findComment&comment=2190721

That door open on the turret... Sobering. You know they were hauling butt to get out. Poor guys.

Right? These photos just seem to get more and more sobering...

Garandomatic

Let alone that wound in her side. Hell. I think if i had time to think about it (gotta hit the sack, first day of school tomorrow) I'd need a drink...

So I'm at a little WWII event today... Turn around... Jim Jarvis is standing there... Got to shake a survivor's hand!

That's super cool -Jim is a super nice guy- glad for you man!

• 3 weeks later...

can't wait to see this....got an opportunity to meet with a survivor again recently. Had a wonderful time going out do dinner with he and his wife and for ice cream later. Truly was an honor and a privilege.

Just finished watching the broadcast. Personally I wish they would've done a longer program but I understand there are technical limitations. Regardless the program was excellent. They did a great job of telling the story of the Indianapolis to the public, a good number who had previously known very little about the history of the ship and her crew. It was very sobering watching the video as the ROV explored the length of the ship. The host even mentioned that shoes and other personal items had been found, a reminder that the site is first and foremost a war grave to over 300 sailors. What ceases to amaze me is how well preserved the wreckage is, so well that you could still see the victory tallies on the gun positions and the lettering on the scout planes. It had an additional personal meaning for me as I had the honor of visiting with one of the remaining survivors about a week before they found the ship. It was a experience I will never forget and reminded me that we are blessed to have such brave and heroic men among us. It also reminds me how we are loosing our WWII veterans daily and the best way we can honor their service and sacrifices is to record their stories so that they will not be lost to time.

Fair winds and following seas to those who perished in 1945 and the survivors who have passed on. Your sacrifices will never be forgotten.

I also want to note that the program was also streamed live on YouTube and currently has been viewed 768 times tonight alone but had at least 900 viewers while it was streaming.

I thought it was well done, but I was left wanting more as it was just too short. I can only hope that in time a book will be done with detailed images to study as too often the moved away from bits I wanted to look closer at.

I thought it was odd they kept using language like 'accident' to describe a wartime sinking. :huh:

I wasn't too impressed when they started using that word. The torpedoes weren't launched at the Indianapolis by accident.