USS INDIANAPOLIS FOUND! FOLLOW LINK

Thor996

THIS IS legit;

USS Indianapolis Presentation with Survivors facebook page

72 years ago, the #USSIndy sank, leaving many of our loved ones ‘Lost at Sea.’

Today, we are extremely excited to announce that it has been found in the Philippine Sea thanks to the incredible efforts of Paul G. Allen and Vulcan Inc.

Full details here: http://bit.ly/2fUg7Rt

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- AUGUST 19, 2017

USS Indianapolis Survivors React to the Discovery of their Sunken Ship in the Philippine Sea

On August 18th, the Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel identified the final resting place of the USS Indianapolis (CA-35) more than three miles below the surface of the Philippine Sea, bringing up bittersweet feelings for those affected by the ship's sinking in the final days of World War II.

The wreck site is the final resting place for more than half of the final sailing crew assigned to the WWII heavy cruiser, according to official Naval records.

With the assistance of the US Navy and NOAA, the Vulcan team, backed by Microsoft cofounder, Paul Allen, led the expedition aboard R/V Petrel.

USS Indianapolis Survivor, and Vice-chairman of the Survivors' organization, Dick Thelen, 90, was absolutely surprised by the news that his ship had been located. "I never thought I'd see this day come!. I'm glad it was found."

Coxswain Louis "Kayo" Erwin, survivor of the Indianapolis who served aboard the ship for 2 and a half years prior to the sinking, was happy to hear the good news. "I saw a lot of action on that ship", having been part of most of the 10 battle stars she earned throughout WWII. "I'm very very proud of my service, and I'm happy to hear she's finally been found. This is wonderful news!

The ship's dentist, Lt. Cmdr. Earl Henry, was lost during the sinking. His son, Earl Henry Jr. is "grateful that Paul Allen has gone to such great lengths to locate the USS Indianapolis, which our family regards as my father's burial site," and that "My wife and I were not expecting the emotional reaction we experienced this morning when we received the news that the Indianapolis had been found."

The Indianapolis served President Roosevelt as ship of state, and Admiral Spruance as the 5th Fleet flagship in WWII. She fought gallantly through many campaigns, earning ten battle stars. Her final top secret mission was to carry parts of the first atomic bomb used in combat to a U.S. air base on Tinian. Just a few nights later, on July 30th,1945 she fell prey to a Japanese submarine. In the next twelve minutes of fire and chaos, about 330 of her crew would be lost with the ship, and the rest--some 880 men--would be left alone in the Pacific in the middle of the night. For the next 5 days, without food or water, the crew battled the elements, dodged shark attacks, and clung to life as best they could.

Her sinking led to the greatest single loss of life at sea in the history of the U.S. Navy. Of the 1,196 sailors and marines on board, only 317 survived. There are 19 remaining survivors alive today.

Amongst a large debris field, the crew of the R/V Petrel has discovered a portion of the bow, and has used a remotely operated vehicle to collect video of several identifying features, confirming the identity of the USS Indianapolis (CA-35). They will continue to survey the site, which they are treating with respect as a war grave.

This is the latest wreck discovery for Paul Allen's team. "We try to do these both as really exciting examples of underwater archaeology, and as tributes to the brave men that went down with the ships."

The discovery of the USS Indianapolis closes a chapter in US Naval History that has remained open for decades, finally giving resolution to the surviving crew, and to more than 800 families who lost loved ones aboard the fated cruiser. According to Earl Henry, "There will be a lot of crying today among families of the lost-at-sea but hopefully it will eventually lead to some closure."

Of the 1,196 men who served aboard the ship, 39 men formed the Marine Detachment. Only 9 survived the sinking, and one still lives today. Edgar Harrell, the sole remaining Marine survivor was elated to hear the news. “Praise the Lord! Tomorrow is my anniversary and this is the best anniversary present I could have received!"

For more information regarding the USS Indianapolis, or to speak with members of the Survivors Organization, contact:

Captain Bill Toti, USN (Ret)
Honorary USS Indianapolis Survivor
(214) 620-8070
[email protected]

Sara Vladic
USS Indianapolis Historian and Honorary Survivor
(310) 270-8872
[email protected]

Kim Roller
USS Indianapolis Honorary Survivor
(360) 292-9659
[email protected]

Peggy Campo
Daughter of Survivor, Donald McCall & Survivor's Org. Secretary
(217) 377-9783
[email protected]

This is exciting news. I'm also amazed at the condition of the wreckage for being down there over seventy years and the rust has barely covered anything.

What's that last shot?

An image shot from a remotely operated vehicle shows wreckage which appears to be one of the two anchor windlass mechanisms from the forecastle of the ship. Note the star-emblazoned capstans in this photo dated July 12, 1945 just weeks before the ship was lost.

Burning Hazard

Interesting find!

From another article, they state that USS Indianapolis sits at 5500 m (18,000 ft) below the sea. Compare that to the Titanic which sits at 3800 m (12,500 ft), this would probably explain why the Indianapolis is so well preserved.

Pat

RustyCanteen

I heard the news earlier today, it is nice that any living survivors can perhaps find some closure in knowing their ship has been found.

What's that last shot?

That is the forecastle, the portion of the bow is laying on it's side. So you are seeing the main deck laying vertical.

The green delineates the border of the image, and the red represents the silt buildup. Either it is a big mound against the side (probable) or it is partly buried, because it is covering a little over the centerline.

c.jpg

Great event. Wonderful pics. Hope there will be a video. Paul Allen spends his mega-bucks on great things!

USS Indianapolis Presentation with Survivors facebook page has within last few hours put up released video

pathfinder11

A friend of mine, Dr. Richard Hulver, made the key breakthrough in helping Paul Allen locate the wreck. He was able to identify LST-779 as the last ship to sight Indianapolis and this discovery shifted the search area for where the cruiser was believed sunk: https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/f/final-contact-uss-indianapolis-passes-uss-lst-779-29-jul-1945.html