Post WW2 28th Division IKE

Sully

Post WW2 IKE of a two service veteran. Picked this up earlier this year off of a friend who found it in a pawn shop. Jacket is dated 1949 and has what I think is a German made ribbon bar. Unnamed but has a laundry number, I haven't tried to do any research.

From what little I have to go on; I'm thinking WW2 USN veteran joined the National Guard after coming home and went with the 28th Division to Germany during the Korean War.

post-131982-0-97984900-1503066192.jpg

post-131982-0-87919800-1503066199_thumb.jpg

All of the service stripes and overseas bars could have been earned with the Army. The 28th was activated during the Korean war and spent from late 1950 to late 1954 in Federal service. Spending December 1951 to May 1954 in Germany.

All of the service stripes and overseas bars could have been earned with the Army. The 28th was activated during the Korean war and spent from late 1950 to late 1954 in Federal service. Spending December 1951 to May 1954 in Germany.

Right on the dates for the Keystone's service Sully. But got to point out one thing

Unlike WWII where Army personnel serving around the world without being in a Combat Zone where overseas bars were awarded, in example a Officer and Enlistedman, serving the whole war, say in Alaska, or Greenland, overseas bars were not awarded to personnel in this time period anywhere except Japan and Korea, the seat of the Combat Theater. So guys serving in the Korean War period, say in Alaska, or Greenland, and Germany were not awarded the overseas bars. Same applied during the Vietnam Era for the most part (personnel serving in the Dominican Republic operation in 1965, and during the South Korean DMZ fighting/skirmishing 1968-73 were.)

The Service Stripe of course is different, but the lack of an Army Good Conduct Medal, with just the Navy one indicates recent Army service, and that that the Service Stripe, along with the Overseas Bars, gives a good indication this was for his WWII Navy service.