Views of my favorite room

wow!!

that is a lot of books!!! but your right, never have too many!!!! Books Rock!!!

If you can read thank a teacher!! LOL

nice ribbon and medal display too, didnt realize how much I really like ribbons and medals till now,

paul

Thank you! I have many passionate teachers to thank, indeed! Many of my titles were recommended by them as well.

Ribbons and medals are very addictive, and moreso if put into a compelling display, which I'm always tinkering with.

G

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Actively seeking North Carolina and 30th infantry Division-related items from all periods.

Also looking for items belonging to veterans that went to The Citadel in Charleston.

Troop D, 1-150th Cavalry RGT, 30th HBCT. M1A1 SEP Tank Commander.

OMSA member #7423

US Army Historical Foundation Charter Member

US Army Brotherhood of Tankers member

American Association For State and Local History

Southeasren Museums Conference

Southeastern Registrars Association

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still struggling with space to properly display items (not that it really matters, 'cuz no one ever sees it but myself). Moved some things around to put some of my Marine items in one area. Really need to get a display case, but if I bought one, that would be money I wouldn't be able to use for buying relics. Catch-22. Besides, I don't really have the space for a case, yet, and the baby becoming a crawling monster, ready to run, makes me think I will have to move everything, sans books, to a smaller room with a lock on the door.

In any case, suggestions welcome.

post-297-1263159950.jpg

post-297-1263159992.jpg

post-297-1263160030.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Actively seeking North Carolina and 30th infantry Division-related items from all periods.

Also looking for items belonging to veterans that went to The Citadel in Charleston.

OMSA member #7423

My most prized things: My grandfather's WWII stuff (non-uniform stuff).

post-297-1263160583.jpg

post-297-1263160593.jpg

His bringbacks. Sadly, when he passed, my cousin got his Arisaka and bayonet that had hung over the fireplace for as long as I can recall. On the bright side, I got to know my grandfather better than even his daughters.

post-297-1263160602.jpg

post-297-1263160726.jpg

Pic of my grandpa "with Japanese dog in China" during occupation duty.

OMSA member #7423

One more I'ld like to share. Got this named, WWI BB&B star last year from a forum member (Thanks, Roger!) and finally just got it set into a proper display. Just need to get a proper WWI Vic, and perhaps a period 27th Division patch.

post-297-1263235448.jpg

post-297-1263235456.jpg

post-297-1263235463.jpg

OMSA member #7423

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of the book for sale/trade. I'm looking for a copy of Bary Stein's book on DI'S.

U.S. Army heraldic crests: a complete illustrated history.

Thanks,

Bill

Great Collection & thanks for posting it!!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
Are any of the book for sale/trade. I'm looking for a copy of Bary Stein's book on DI'S.

U.S. Army heraldic crests: a complete illustrated history.

Thanks,

Bill

Great Collection & thanks for posting it!!

Bill,

I'ld be willing to let some books go, but Stein's I still need, and was very difficult to find.

Hobza, I don't have any 2nd ID stuff that I'm ready to part with.

Thanks for looking, and anyone can PM me with specific needs,

G

OMSA member #7423

Arc

I always find myself looking at this post.Really outstanding items and displays. :smokin: :salute:

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Thanks, Ron! That's a mighty big compliment coming from you. It's been a long hard road collecting these items, since there was never much to be had were I live(d). Starting when I was very young (and even today) many dealers just don't take me seriously. I may look like I'm in my mid-twenties, but I wouldn't be asking a dealer about something if I didn't have an interest. I don't know if they thought I was just passing thru, killing time, or if I wasn't serious and wasting thier time, or if they thought I just didn't have any money to buy items, or wouldn't appreciate these things. I hope they will take a look at this now. Needless to say, I stay away from those dealers, or buy the one item I need and never go back. Some dealers just don't understand.Anyway, I've struggled to learn about this hobby, from the days without internet, and only a few published books, to having my own library and a collection big enough that my wife says I need to get rid of it. I haven't told her which would win if I have to choose, but it won't come to that because she knows that I collect to honor those that served, and to preserve the history of our fighting men and women. Enough soap box. Thanks for looking and for the props.

G

OMSA member #7423

Don't know why I never saw this thread before!

John D. Moats was born on 5 Jan 1943 and enlisted in the Marine Corps on 13 September 1961. He was commissioned on 1 July 1965 and promoted to Capt on 1 Aug 1967.

I have no record of R. W. Pries.

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Don't know why I never saw this thread before!

John D. Moats was born on 5 Jan 1943 and enlisted in the Marine Corps on 13 September 1961. He was commissioned on 1 July 1965 and promoted to Capt on 1 Aug 1967.

I have no record of R. W. Pries.

Dave

Holy @$, man!!! THANK YOU, Dave!!!! I had given up finding anything on the original owner. You are amazing, and just made my week!

Bear hugs,

G

OMSA member #7423

Holy @$, man!!! THANK YOU, Dave!!!! I had given up finding anything on the original owner. You are amazing, and just made my week!

Bear hugs,

G

No worries! Glad to help!

I did forget to note that he was a USMCR up to 1968-69. He's not listed in my 1967 Register, but he is listed in my 1970 Register and given his commissioning date, he would have still been in during the time covered by the '67 Register.

Glad it helps! That should be enough for a letter to the NPRC!

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

arclight,

Awesome collection! I really like the books, very nice. I would encourage you to consider moving some books away from your precious baby daughter as she starts to crawl and "toddle". My oldest daughter, when she was in that stage, tore a good many dust jackets of mine -- including an otherwise very fine copy of Stanton's WWII Order of Battle, Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia, and a book on Civil War uniforms. Now my daughter has graduated college, loves books, and is a professional editor and writer. Go figure...

A small nit to pick: in post #79, the upper right label says 15th Machine Gun Battalion, 9th Division, AEF. Of course, the 15th was assigned to the 5th Division in the AEF (as correctly stated in the label at the bottom of the display). the 9th Division was in the process of forming at Camp McClellan, AL, when the war ended, and it never got overseas.

Thanks for sharing your collection.

Pete

Please check out my author's page at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-L.-Belmonte/e/B00QXIG58Y

and my other page:

http://doughboypublishing.weebly.com

Nice collection!

Love that USMC Stuff!

"Nuts!" - General MacAuliffe

"Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae." - Julius Caesar

Looking For 99th Division ETO items (Or BoB Items!) and DCU (or Iraqi) items, please PM me!

banner.jpg

arclight,

A small nit to pick: in post #79, the upper right label says 15th Machine Gun Battalion, 9th Division, AEF. Of course, the 15th was assigned to the 5th Division in the AEF (as correctly stated in the label at the bottom of the display). the 9th Division was in the process of forming at Camp McClellan, AL, when the war ended, and it never got overseas.

Thanks for sharing your collection.

Pete

Pete, you are exactly right! Thanks for pointing that out so I can correct it.

Carpen404, I've been collecting close to 28 years. It's become rather addicting.

G

OMSA member #7423

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

The room is actually being relocated since the baby is crawling at lightning fast speed, and has amazing long reach.

Ken, I actually went to Camden Military Academy (7th-12th grades) and then The Citadel.

Thanks,

Gary

OMSA member #7423

Oops -double post

OMSA member #7423

post-297-1233455702.jpg

This is another one I re-did the backing on because I was inspired by some of your displays y'all posted. I also added his 40th ID patch I though I had lost when I moved awhile back. Sadly, NPRC can provide basically no info on SFC John J. Black, and they gave me some conflicting info, too. Example: they say he was only a corporal, but I have his SFC stripes, and his Korean War era nametag with his rank on it. Oh, well.

One of the sets of dog tags seems to have belonged to his "significant other," which I thought was pretty cool!

Very cool. :thumbsup: Nice displays.
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif