• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Views of my favorite room

post-297-1255129877.jpg

The cover. As I said, the group came with no EGA's, so the one shown here is a recent old stock purchase made by Officer's Equipment Company. Gotta love those Marine officer chin straps. Sharp looking!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Actively seeking North Carolina and 30th infantry Division-related items from all periods.

Also looking for items belonging to veterans that went to The Citadel in Charleston.

Troop D, 1-150th Cavalry RGT, 30th HBCT. M1A1 SEP Tank Commander.

OMSA member #7423

US Army Historical Foundation Charter Member

US Army Brotherhood of Tankers member

American Association For State and Local History

Southeasren Museums Conference

Southeastern Registrars Association

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ribbons are original to the uniform, although the PUC is beginning to fray on the edge. The collar EGA's came from another Marine uniform I had posted the other day in the Latest Finds section.

post-297-1255130000.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Actively seeking North Carolina and 30th infantry Division-related items from all periods.

Also looking for items belonging to veterans that went to The Citadel in Charleston.

OMSA member #7423

Last pic for tonight. Was wondering if the Marines have been putting out Officer's Registers like the Army does? If they do, and someone on the forum has one, I would be grateful if someone would check on this uniforms original owner. The name on the tag inside is JD Moat, there is a 1967 date, and on the line for "organization," is written D-3, which I assumed means Division Ops officer. Can anyone help with this?

post-297-1255130697.jpg

OMSA member #7423

Here's one that I love, 'cuz my wonderful wife gave this to me for my wedding gift. It's a signed/numbered Don Troiani canvas print, "Steady on the Colors." Prints aren't something I really get into, but this one was incredible, and at the time, I was very big into the War Between the States. Due to budget restrictions (and too many fakes) I moved on to more current militaria.

post-297-1255215480.jpg

OMSA member #7423

You have an extremely impressive collection, it is very, VERY nice. However, that chinstrap does not belong on that service cover. The Marine Officer's service cover uses a black chinstrap. The gold and crimson chinstrap belongs on the dress white cover.

that is one awesome collection :drool2: loved every part of it thanks for sharing :twothumbup:

Thanks for the kudos, Nick!

Semper Fi!

OMSA member #7423

Last pic for tonight. Was wondering if the Marines have been putting out Officer's Registers like the Army does? If they do, and someone on the forum has one, I would be grateful if someone would check on this uniforms original owner. The name on the tag inside is JD Moat, there is a 1967 date, and on the line for "organization," is written D-3, which I assumed means Division Ops officer. Can anyone help with this?

post-297-1255130697.jpg

There is no one with that last name listed as a Silver Star receipent...

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

There is no one with that last name listed as a Silver Star receipent...

Crud! There was only one rack any of the four uniforms. I took a picture of it (old school polaroid instant) when I first got it, so am positive that I did not mess with it. That could explain why the seller gave all of it to me for $75 on the last day of the show. Of course, that was quite a while ago, but given your checking and not finding anything, I would not now put it past him to have made up the rack.

Upon a closer look, there is another name in the trousers, "Priess." Wonder if perhaps that could have been the last owner? I just don't what to think at this point. Moat seems to be the predominant name, though.

Still a sharp looking uniform, even if it was made up.

Oh, well. I'm sure I can still recoup that investment with the sum of the parts. Thanks for checking for me Stinger! If you get a chance, would you take a look for "Priess?" I may need to go recheck that spelling.

Thanks for looking, and warmest regards,

G

OMSA member #7423

Crud! There was only one rack any of the four uniforms. I took a picture of it (old school polaroid instant) when I first got it, so am positive that I did not mess with it. That could explain why the seller gave all of it to me for $75 on the last day of the show. Of course, that was quite a while ago, but given your checking and not finding anything, I would not now put it past him to have made up the rack.

Upon a closer look, there is another name in the trousers, "Priess." Wonder if perhaps that could have been the last owner? I just don't what to think at this point. Moat seems to be the predominant name, though.

Still a sharp looking uniform, even if it was made up.

Oh, well. I'm sure I can still recoup that investment with the sum of the parts. Thanks for checking for me Stinger! If you get a chance, would you take a look for "Priess?" I may need to go recheck that spelling.

Thanks for looking, and warmest regards,

G

Below is a pic of the other name I mentioned in the Class A trousers. Odd thing about those trousers is that the side pocket has been cut off. Easy access for "rearrangement?" I don't know what that's all about. But in any case, if anyone finds information on this name, I would be grateful! "R W Pries"

G

post-297-1255655940.jpg

OMSA member #7423

None of the names you mentioned are listed on HomeofHeroes.com list of Silver Star receipents. I know their site is not 100% complete but it doesn't look good for him being a legit SS receipent. However, it was still well worth the investment.

There are Registers of Commissioned Officers of the Navy and Marine Corps that exist. I dont have access to any of them but other members on the forum may have one within the date timeframe that the tag reads on the uniform to attempt an ID.

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I spent 7th-12th grades at Camden Military Academy, in Camden, SC, the armpit of the South (sorry, Andrew, I mean that in the nicest way!). While there, I had some amazing teachers, Tac Officers and experiences. I recently came across a few items that belonged to one of my favorite teachers, Commander John Curran Feltham, USN (Ret.). Sadly he passed away a few years back. His wife worked in the canteen, and was always so very kind to me. Needless to say, I got to know them pretty well. The Cdr was a P-3 Orion pilot, and even flew missions in the Cuban Missile Crisis. A longtime pipe-smoker, he succombed to cancer. I remember taking his geometry class, seeing him light up his pipe, take a few puffs, and then put it into his shirt pocket. I always watched closely because I expected his shirt to burst into flames. Those good times, when you could smoke in class! Anyway, I found a picture of him, and a calling card of his. I purchased a P-3 Orion patch from a forum member, and when it arrived, made a display in his honor. I hope he in some strange way knows just how much he touched my life and influenced me. Happy Veteran's Day, Commander Feltham, and to every one of our veterans, at home and abroad! I salute you all. If I could make a display for each and everyone of you, I certainly would do my best!

post-297-1257894932.jpg

post-297-1257894948.jpg

OMSA member #7423

Space is becoming an issue (obviously), and my increasing Marine Corps collection is going to need more space. Need to narrow down the collection and become more focused. Here's the latest pic of some of my Marine items. Happy 234th Birthday to the Corps!

post-297-1257896277.jpg

post-297-1257896261.jpg

Many, many thanks to USMCRaidergirl for her help in this endeavor!

OMSA member #7423

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Pacori and warroom1 for the kind words. Its been nearly a lifelong passion, starting when I discovered my grandpa's WWII Marine stuff in the attic when I was about 8 years old. Never really seems like all that much when I look at it -that is, until my wife starts in on me about getting rid of it to make room for other stuff. But, when I patiently explain that I am honoring those whom history and thier families have forgotten, she eventually relents, at least for a little while. I do need to weed out some stuff, and become more focused on USMC and medals/decorations, so if anyone sees something they really would like, I hope they will PM me with an offer to trade or buy.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

OMSA member #7423

Arclight, you've got a fantastic collection, thanks for sharing. Jon

Gracias. But somehow, it never seems like enough.

G

OMSA member #7423

Thank you, Pacori and warroom1 for the kind words. Its been nearly a lifelong passion, starting when I discovered my grandpa's WWII Marine stuff in the attic when I was about 8 years old. Never really seems like all that much when I look at it -that is, until my wife starts in on me about getting rid of it to make room for other stuff. But, when I patiently explain that I am honoring those whom history and thier families have forgotten, she eventually relents, at least for a little while. I do need to weed out some stuff, and become more focused on USMC and medals/decorations, so if anyone sees something they really would like, I hope they will PM me with an offer to trade or buy.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

pm sent

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Great collection my friend. I am very glad to see some of my patches went to the right place. I can only hope to have one that nice some day.

Thanks, Tim. I just need to figure out a good way to display the awesome theater-made patches i got from you! I still love those, BTW!

G

OMSA member #7423

pm sent

In response to a PM, I took some pics of one of my rarer patches, and figured I would share them with you guys. This is an original WW2 large size 501st PIR patch. This one came from a old timer vet. When I got my driver's license, I would take my grandpa (a pacific war Marine vet) to the Men's Bible Class each Sunday. That class was absolutely full of vets, from a Bataan survivor, and TBF pilot, to a 5th A.D. tank driver and a destroyer captain. I made it known that this was all of great interest to me, and always pumped these guys to share thier stories, although most wouldn't talk much about it. They gave me many items to start my collection with including a silk evasion map of Luzon, an original "secret" marked after-action report, and patches and insignia, this patch below being one of them. I really miss those guys, and wish I had realized the gravity of thier contributions at the time, and had recorded thier names with the items. Unfortunately, I can only recall a few names, mostly thier first names that my grandpa would call them by. I really miss that Sunday school class. Anyway, here's some pics of the 501st patch:

post-297-1261436045.jpg

post-297-1261436054.jpg

post-297-1261436063.jpg

post-297-1261436072.jpg

post-297-1261436082.jpg

OMSA member #7423

1Lt Gordon Trulson's Air Medal, cased with shipping container. Thanks to some of the great guys on this forum, I was able to contact Mr. Trulson, who retired as a Major. Unfortunately, after several months' of waiting, and two follow up letters, I have received no reply from him. I can only guess he is worried about identity theft, or has some very bad memories (although, I didn't get that impression from speaking to him), and would prefer to be left alone, which I must respect. Nevertheless, I am beginning work on a display to honor his service. The only item original to the group is the Air Medal, ribbon, lapel pin, case and shipping box. Everything else is original WWII, except for the current issue Air Force wings. Just need to come up with a good card/label to identify this group.

post-297-1261535230.jpg

post-297-1261535243.jpg

OMSA member #7423

Made a new display to better show off the Navy/Marine PUC's. Notice the three oversized ones, which are two inches long, by half inch wide.

Still not much of an explanation from anyone connected with the Marine/Navy Museum system, except that they are probably theater made. They are not. Any input would be appreciated (I will post this again in the medals thread to revive the original topic).

post-297-1261535483.jpg

OMSA member #7423

post-297-1225325977.jpgsome folks say you can never have too many books, but if you have nowhere to put more...(I've got about thirty more boxes. Anyone got some extra bookcases I could have?)

wow!!

that is a lot of books!!! but your right, never have too many!!!! Books Rock!!!

If you can read thank a teacher!! LOL

nice ribbon and medal display too, didnt realize how much I really like ribbons and medals till now,

paul