Lead paint in Civil Defense helmet?

Craftbox

Recently I bought a helmet lot for a steal of a deal that included one of those white high-dome Civil Defense helmets from WW2/Cold War era.

Unfortunately the thing is trashed. Rusted all over, no lining, chinstrap disintegrated. I'm not too concerned since they aren't worth much to begin with; and this one has no insignia to make it interesting.

I bought a nearly mint condition example from a local surplus store for $15 for the collection. So I thought maybe I could use the trashed one for a project.

I've heard that the Front Seam M1 helmets potentially contain lead, so people refinishing them should beware toxic particles. Anyone know if a similar risk applies to the CD helmets?

I'm unsure what to do with the thing to be honest. Perhaps refinish it white, or cut it down or something. The possibilities are endless. OR, should I just leave it in its rusted out state, lying around for some future relic hunter? Let me know.

it is very possible. I wouldn't be super worried though. take precautions against dust, dont chip the paint off and eat it like corn flakes. that sort of stuff.