Civil Air Patrol

ken1967

CAP wore atandard U.S. Army uniforms during WWII with the addition of red epaulets on officers shirts and coats and red background on chevrons. They also wore red trim on overseas caps. The red was made obsolete in Feb. 1945 and CAP adopted regular Army uniforms with the only distinctions being the use of CAP insignia. Shoes would be standard Army brown

Hope this answers your question.

I was looking more for a "M19--" type number but upon some more research after reading this, I guess that they are just referred to as "Khakis" and don't have an official designator. So you did answer my question, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I've asked enough questions, now I will contribute a few pictures. My screw backed CAP hat device. The screw post seems to be added later as I can only see the bottom part of the markings, with some of the soldering covering the rest. It appears to say "W.Y." or "N.Y." under a longer word that is obscured by the solder.

100_1871.jpg

100_1872.jpg

As you can tell, I am far from skilled with a camera, so I appologize.

• 1 month later...

Here's a neat WW2 era tunic that just came in the shop as you see it.

The cool thing ( besides having all insignia & hat) is that it is not a normal US PQMD 4 pocket but one made up with no tags and out of a slightly lighter weight material.

cap1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I found this today. Is this a Senior NCO cap badge? What years were these worn? Scarce? Thanks for any information on this one!

-Ski

post-3043-1305922409.jpg

• 5 months later...

Found another set of the small CAP wings today: previously they were said to be sort of a lapel pin for wear on civilian clothing, but I wonder if they didn't function the same as miniature air force wings?

Does anyone have a time table for these?

1.jpg

I found this today. Is this a Senior NCO cap badge? What years were these worn? Scarce? Thanks for any information on this one!

-Ski

These were in use from 1961 to 1979. (They may have been brought back into use as CAP again has senior member enlisted ranks, but only for those people who are current or retired military NCO's.) Oh yes, these aren't all that scarce. At one time I had about 2 dozen of them, but most have been traded off by now. These was also a smaller version that was worn on the flight cap (that's overseas cap, garrison cap, p!$$ cutter, or other name of your choice). That small one was used from 1973-1979 & was 1 1/4" dia. as opposed to the large one being 1 5/8" dia..

These were in use from 1961 to 1979. (They may have been brought back into use as CAP again has senior member enlisted ranks, but only for those people who are current or retired military NCO's.) Oh yes, these aren't all that scarce. At one time I had about 2 dozen of them, but most have been traded off by now. These was also a smaller version that was worn on the flight cap (that's overseas cap, garrison cap, p!$$ cutter, or other name of your choice). That small one was used from 1973-1979 & was 1 1/4" dia. as opposed to the large one being 1 5/8" dia..

Thanks Lee!

-Ski

• 5 months later...
rustywings

I'd like to run this old flag past the Forum's Civil Air Patrol brain-trust for some feedback. I believe the flag is vintage WWII era, but I'm not certain. It is three feet by four feet in size.

IMG_2769_crop.jpg

rustywings

In trying to research the flag, I noticed there's a similar WWII era C.A.P. flag illustrated on "The National Museum of the Civil Air Patrol" website. It appears to be about the same size as well.

rightHandImg_1_1__crop.jpg

rustywings

A WWII era Officer's "Coastal Patrol" Pilot coat with red epaulets and officer's stripes on the sleeves. It sports an unusual pair of wings on the chest.

IMG_2785_crop.jpg