Civil Air Patrol

ken1967

Thank you Ski and Lee. I appreciate your input. Since it's four inches wide, I assume it would have been a pocket patch, rather than worn on the sleeve? I've shown this patch around, off and on, for over 30 years now without anyone being able to positively identify it. The mystery continues.

Russ

If not already, why not contact CAP itself at Maxwell AFB? :dunno:

The current National Commander is MajGen Amy Courier.

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/html/contact.htm

Surely someone there will have an ID for that patch.

I'm very curious myself!

Thank you Bluehawk. That's an excellent idea. I'll let you know when I hear something.

Russ

Lucky 7th Armored

Here's my only CAP items in my collection, found them in the bottom of a box at a flea market. I found them separately.

Envelope with stamp with her name on it.

post-5136-1261239395.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
kyhistorian01

Here is a WWII hat from my collection. It was apparently worn by an observer who served with the C.A.P. doing border patrol flights during the war, according to a note I have that came with it.

Robert

post-6492-1266818979.jpg

kyhistorian01

I already added these to the uniform topic of the forum, but here are two overseas hats I picked up a number of years ago at an antique mall while on vacation.

Robert

pic 1

post-6492-1266819249.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Robert! You've posted some terrific caps and hat! I especially like the Smokey the Bear campaign hat. Thanks for posting.

Russ

I picked these up in trading today. Are the circular ones Cap patches?

-Ski

Ski,

The circular ones that say "Encampment", are Civil Air Patrol Cadet items. The one with the red prop was authorized from August 1949 thru Jan. 1951. The one with the red prop was used from Aug. 1951 thru Jan. 1954. These were worn on the lower right sleeve of coats and shirts. In Jan. 1954 the patch was replaced by the encampment ribbon. Cadets then and still today participate in "enacmpments", which are often held in the summer on Air Force Bases or other installations to give them a first hand view of daily life and working of the Air Force. This may have changed somewhat since 9-11.

Ski,

The circular ones that say "Encampment", are Civil Air Patrol Cadet items. The one with the red prop was authorized from August 1949 thru Jan. 1951. The one with the red prop was used from Aug. 1951 thru Jan. 1954. These were worn on the lower right sleeve of coats and shirts. In Jan. 1954 the patch was replaced by the encampment ribbon. Cadets then and still today participate in "enacmpments", which are often held in the summer on Air Force Bases or other installations to give them a first hand view of daily life and working of the Air Force. This may have changed somewhat since 9-11.

Thanks Lee for the intel! I didn't know they were that old. I attended a total of 6 encampments in my CAP days..... ;) Which patch was worn when? You mentioned the red proped one twice. Thanks again. A real mountain of information.

-Ski

Thanks Lee for the intel! I didn't know they were that old. I attended a total of 6 encampments in my CAP days..... ;) Which patch was worn when? You mentioned the red proped one twice. Thanks again. A real mountain of information.

-Ski

OOPS! My bad... the white one came later. The red first, replaced by white. Actually, I think both were probably worn during the same periods, but the white came along later. I think that was one of those deals probably to save money buy eliminating the red thread required for the earlier patch.

OOPS! My bad... the white one came later. The red first, replaced by white. Actually, I think both were probably worn during the same periods, but the white came along later. I think that was one of those deals probably to save money buy eliminating the red thread required for the earlier patch.

Thanks Lee. You are the man! I take it, then, the patch was worn in the same sort of way Boy Scout merit patches were worn? I definately like the ribbon idea better if that was the idea.

-Ski

• 4 months later...
Johnny Signor

Just the other day there were some "copies" of WW-2 era CAP patches for sale on E Bay if anyone wants to check them out, most are rather poor copies one or two were ok ,but if you want to get an idea of how some looked check it out .

Really cool stuff everyone! My High School years were spent in the CAP Cadet Program. I loved it! I ended up making C/1LT before joining the Marines, in 1990. All I have remaining are my ribbon bars and the Mitchell Award certificate. I think that my family tossed the rest.

Here is a WWII hat from my collection. It was apparently worn by an observer who served with the C.A.P. doing border patrol flights during the war, according to a note I have that came with it.

Robert

Don't know how I missed making a comment on the campaign hat. These were reportedly used in Nevada during the war by mounted CAP troops that worked as gound search & rescue parties. It would be very difficult to wear one of these while flying as an observer, but who knows. Some pretty weird uniforms/gear/insignia combinations were used by CAP during WWII. :lol:

• 5 months later...
These old design Cadet ribbons were often called "Cap'n. Crunch Ribbons" ( and a few other names not suitable for a "G" rated forum). You gotta admit they were distinctive!

We used to call them "Cartoon" ribbons. They were just phased out by the time I joined.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a WWII Hand Drawn Uniform guidline for C.A.P. from my collection.

Robert

What pattern shirt and trousers would these be? Also, What type of shoes were worn?

What pattern shirt and trousers would these be? Also, What type of shoes were worn?

CAP wore atandard U.S. Army uniforms during WWII with the addition of red epaulets on officers shirts and coats and red background on chevrons. They also wore red trim on overseas caps. The red was made obsolete in Feb. 1945 and CAP adopted regular Army uniforms with the only distinctions being the use of CAP insignia. Shoes would be standard Army brown

Hope this answers your question.

Hey guys,

Since this thread popped up again, I figured I would take photos of my certificates as none have been photographed yet.

I was a Cadet in CAP from 1982 to 1987 and was able to get my Spaatz award in that year. The first certificate is the Commander's Commendation Award.

-Ski

post-3043-1296602694.jpg