Civil Air Patrol

ken1967

Hi,

I have a great C.A.P. item that is in the mail right now that would add to this thread. I just bought what I am pretty sure is a WWII female C.A.P. uniform that includes her, shirt, skirt, belt, and two caps. The guy who sold it to me says it looks pretty much identical to the female C.A.P. picture below. I will be sure to post it in this thread when it arrives, if I forget please send me a PM! :D

- Jeff

post-1090-1221258198.jpg

As promised, here are photos of the female CAP uniform I aquired. It is a really neat piece, espically since this is my first female WWII uniform. The guy who sold it to me said he will try and find out the ladies name.

- Jeff

post-1090-1221924012.jpg

post-1090-1221924065.jpg

An outstanding uniform, WWIIVAULT!

There are others in the Women's section if you're interested.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1902

Thank you for the comment and link to the other thread. thumbsup.gif I didn't realize that the uniforms with red lining were rare. To bad there wasn't a tunic to go with it.

- Jeff

DMD - thanks for the photos of the 60s patches... Any further information on the Squadron 3 patch?

I have some incomplete history on the Flying Encampment activity that the 1968 patch is from, if you are interested.

Here is the 1970 patch...

cfel70.jpg

Plus a really interesting backside...

cfel70bk.jpg

Close-ups of the pin and SSI.

Jeff - You have some very nice pieces in that female uniform!

I think the shirt has some production red shoulder straps or epaulets, but I can't tell for sure. Many were home made, like a lot WWII domestic items because of lack of money or materials or both.

The shoulder patch has a white felt/wool triangle, something I've never seen. I have a couple that have a white triangle embroidered on a felt blue disk. Do you mind if I put it up on the CAP Patches website and give you credit? I'd need your name though, heh.

That circular pin on the breast pocket flap is actually a garison (flight) cap badge, and it must have just been put there to avoid being lost.

-Ace

Hi Ace,

Nice patch and thanks for the comment. :) The stitching on the straps appears to be factory made, not homemade. The stitching makes an X with a stitch box around it. Yes, the white section of the SSI is made out of felt. I thought the pin on the breast pocket was out of place and then I saw a picture of it being worn on a overseas cap. Yes, I would be glad to have you use the picture. Let me take another picture of it though and send it to you since the one above is kind of blurry.

- Jeff

Great thread guys! thumbsup.gif I learned some new stuff from this! To the folks that may be unfamiluar with wartime CAP uniforms, yes they did use Artillery red trimed overseas caps. The red epaulet outer garmets are so hard to find because by early 1945, CAP removed the red trim from their uniforms, (or were supposed too) and many uniforms got converted back to the original khaki, OD or officer green epaulets.

Another thing to keep in mind is that uniform regulations were not followed all that closely during the war. One reason is the above mentioned reason that uniform items and insignia were hard to come by in some parts of the country so a lot of "home-made" and "make-do", was done with the CAP stuff. The old regs talk about this, but even when uniforms & insignia was available, people sometimes "bent", the rules a mite. (Some troops not only bent the rules, they stomped them to smithereens!) One good example of this is a female Corporals uniform the Air Force museum used to display. (It may still be on display there.) It was an officers winter green coat with officer collar brass and Corporals chevrons. Old photos are around that show some of these weird and unauthorized uniforms being worn.

By the way.... Ace, thanks for the nice words about me.

I'll add these patches from the Wisconsin Wing from the 1970s-1980s. The Squadron patches are from:

Milwaukee Emergency Services Squadron: Based at Timmermann field. This was my Squadron patch after it was redesignated from the old 621st Composite Squadron ( the 621 patch). Cool patch. It showed us responding to an ELT.

Milwaukee 5: Composite Squadron 5. Our competition on the South side of Milwaukee, hehehehehe....

621 MST: 621st Composite Squadron Mission Support Team. Assigned to Group 10, they did just that, mission support for the Group 10 Land Rescue Team, members from different squadrons.

Tenth LRT: Group 10 Land Rescue Team. This was the main search and rescue crew for just about the entire state of Wisconsin. Sure, there were other squadrons up North, but when Scott AFB called with an ELT, we were called first. We had all of the firefighters, paramedics and cops.

622: 622nd Cadet Squadron. I think they met on Thursdays.....

And finally, the 1986 Wisconsin Flight Encampment patch. There were 5 cadets that attended, and unfortunately, I ended up the only one to solo. On the patch, I was Hotstick and my future wife to be was Puddles. Oh, those days of youth, hehehehe..... :rolleyes:

.....By the way, Hogan was a an old B-24 crewman that worked at West Bend airport where we flew out of. He was quite the guy.

-Ski

post-3043-1222200689.jpg

Ski-

Thanks a lot for posting the Wisconsin patches! I've had the black "622" patch in my possesion for awhile now, and hadn't been able to identify it - really appreciate that!

I've also neer seen the "Group 10" version of the LRT patch. How was it worn in relation to the "Tenth" LRT patch? I'll add some of your descrption to what I already have recorded on the website about the two patches I've been able to preserve. I'll add your scan of the third patch to the submissions section too, and give you credit - although I don't know your real name, heh.

Believe it or not, I have one of the 1986 Flight Encapment patches also... although I unforutnately can't remember who I received it from in the mid-90s. I'm so happy to hear some story behind it, and would love to be able to document more of it in detail! Perhaps if you had some time, you could write up a bit more about the people and places for me to post on the website with the patch?

My e-mail, if it's not on my profile somewhere, is: [email protected]

I'll have to post some patches here soon too, but don't have time today. Thanks for all the great contributions to this topic.

-Ace

Ski-

Thanks a lot for posting the Wisconsin patches! I've had the black "622" patch in my possesion for awhile now, and hadn't been able to identify it - really appreciate that!

I've also neer seen the "Group 10" version of the LRT patch. How was it worn in relation to the "Tenth" LRT patch? I'll add some of your descrption to what I already have recorded on the website about the two patches I've been able to preserve. I'll add your scan of the third patch to the submissions section too, and give you credit - although I don't know your real name, heh.

Believe it or not, I have one of the 1986 Flight Encapment patches also... although I unforutnately can't remember who I received it from in the mid-90s. I'm so happy to hear some story behind it, and would love to be able to document more of it in detail! Perhaps if you had some time, you could write up a bit more about the people and places for me to post on the website with the patch?

My e-mail, if it's not on my profile somewhere, is: [email protected]

I'll have to post some patches here soon too, but don't have time today. Thanks for all the great contributions to this topic.

-Ace

hehehe.... Interesting! The Group 10 patch was worn in the 1970's and was discontinued when the Group 10 LRT was redesignated as the Tenth LRT. When I joined in 1982, we were wearing the Tenth patch. Anyways, the LRT and MST patches finally stopped being used when the 621st became the Milwaukee Emergency Services Squadron (MESS) and all LRT and MST functions from the group were absorbed by the unit. The other 2 squadrons (622 and 623) reverted to straight Cadet squadrons, I believe, with no emergency services mission. I still have a stack of both the MSTs and Tenth LRTs around here somewhere along with some more 1986 encampment patches.

-Ski

I still have a stack of both the MSTs and Tenth LRTs around here somewhere along with some more 1986 encampment patches.

If you'ld like to sell or trade some of those, I'd be interested! The whole chronological history of CAP in the Milwaukee area is a real jumble, I've come to understand. One could wright a small book!

Here is a patch forum readers might find interesting...

jacket.jpg

This is a non-uniform patch, worn on civilian jackets and wind breakers from March 1968 to September 1970. It's pretty big, about 4" tall if I remember right.

Nice patch!

How about this one? It was actually being worn by some overzealous unit in the deep woods of Wisconsin. I was able to snag one on a SARCAP. It's the only time I ever saw a subdued CAP patch. Hilarious!

-Ski

post-3043-1222460237.jpg

It's the only time I ever saw a subdued CAP patch.

That's in case you wanted to make sure the person you were rescuing didn't see you :)

• 4 months later...
:rolleyes: "GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" The Civil Air Patrol which is an Auxiliary of the United States Air Force issued a form of service ribbons from the start, folded like a trianle I believe? I could be wrong? They then had regulation service ribbons featuring the three-blade propeller in the centre and then later came up with an assortment of service ribbons for adults and cadet members, they changed these designs later. I do not have the dates of introducted and the changes, however? Perhaps Lee Ragan or others might know? Major General Tony Pineda I believe was awarded their highest medal? Anyway, I'll show the ribbons and medals of the C.A.P. I have pictures of, maybe someone else can show those that are missing from here? Thank you! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1234031733.jpg

post-837-1234031769.jpg

post-837-1234031780.jpg

post-837-1234031787.jpg

post-837-1234031806.jpg

post-837-1234031827.jpg

post-837-1234031840.jpg

post-837-1234031855.jpg

post-837-1234031864.jpg

post-837-1234031875.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Illustration two has some search ribbons. Had them identified at one time, but not written down. Know from an earlier post that one is for Submarine search. Think one with cactus is for Desert search; and the one with a foot is for Messenger service. Hope someone has a proper ID for these ribbons. The right half of the photo show the back side of the ribbons with old style mounting. The bottom right ribbon is added because I have some, but lost the identification.

Hi Frederick, I know it's an older post but hope to be able to help you ID these ribbons in case you haven't.

#1 = submarine patrol

#2 = southern liaison patrol

#3 = Forrest patrol

#4 = tow target and tracking

#5 = Courier

#6 = missing aircraft

#7 = international exchange

Tino

post-176-1235314300.jpg

• 7 months later...

Can anyone identify, or offer background on this Civil Air Patrol Cadet patch? It is four inches wide and depicts Walt Disney's "Goofy" in uniform. It appears to be WWII era made. Possibly an early 1st Group encampment patch for the jacket? I appreciate your help.

WINGS_2009_178.jpg

• 1 month later...
Can anyone identify, or offer background on this Civil Air Patrol Cadet patch? It is four inches wide and depicts Walt Disney's "Goofy" in uniform. It appears to be WWII era made. Possibly an early 1st Group encampment patch for the jacket? I appreciate your help.

I've not seen this one before either and I thought I'd see about a million CAP unit patches. This definately has that 1940's look to it.