Civil Air Patrol

ken1967

I have recently found myself interested in collecting Civil Air Patrol items. Since I was a member of C.A.P. in the 80's I guess it makes logical sense that this would be part of my collecting interest.

I would love for members to post their C.A.P. items here so that all of us can see examples and hopefully build a reference to these items. I've found printed reference material lacking so far in this are of collecting.

Thanks!

Ken

Senior Member National Shoulder Patch version 3

Cut edged, full embroidered

Authorized: November 1944

Discontinued: December 31, 1954

post-79-1171737032.jpg

post-79-1171737045.jpg

Senior Member National Shoulder Patch version 3

Partially embroidered on twill

- Authorized: November 1944

- Discontinued: December 31, 1954

post-79-1171746212.jpg

post-79-1171746219.jpg

Sorry for the crummy photo. WWII CAP pilot's wings and cap device. Got the cap device for a song at a junk store. The wings, Ouch! (eBay, of course.)

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1171763961.jpg

Interesting thread thumbsup.gif I was in CAP for 10 years when I was younger and still have all my uniforms. I also have one of the twill shoulder patches you posted, they are somewhat hard to come by in that nice of condition. Thanks for posting your items.

Here are the backs of the insignia. The main stud and one of the "positioning points" are broken off the cap device.

The cap device says "NS Meyer, NY". The wings say "Robbins Co, Attaboro" and "Sterling".

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1171810801.jpg

Good looking stuff there! I spent 18 years in CAP, finally retiring in 1995 so I'd have the time to get into Civil War reenacting. I was an original member of the CAP National Historical Committee and did some monographs on CAP uniforms & insignia. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad to see collecting CAP items has come into it's own after mostly neglect by collectors for so many years. Some good stuff to be found out there if someone will just go look for it.

A few weeks ago, I picked up an original pilots wings (Robbins hallmark), for only $30 at a gunshow! I dang near fainted at getting such a good price. (Now if I could just land another Observers half-wing for the same kind of money!)

Thanks for sharing your goodies. thumbsup.gif

That's a great CAP related camel ad, I have that exact one myself. If I recall correctly, it's on the back of a LIFE magazine, right? Found mine in a huge pile of them I was going through in an antique shop. Nice example.

I found mine on eBay. I've seen a couple of copies floating around so apparently they're more common. Great ad though!

I've started watching some of the wings. Darn things go up in price pretty quick on eBay! So if any of you guys are running up the bids, how about giving a guy a break! :)

Thanks everyone for the comments and pictures! Keep 'em coming!

National Shoulder Patch version 2

Cadet Member

Full embroidered Cut-edged 3" disc

- Authorized: March 1943

- Discontinued: November 1944

post-79-1172535423.jpg

post-79-1172535431.jpg

National Shoulder Patch version 3

Cadet Member

Partially embroidered Cut-edged 2.5" disc on twill

- Authorized: October 1944

- Discontinued: December 31, 1954

post-79-1172535649.jpg

post-79-1172535657.jpg

A little CAP trivia for you guys:

The original S/M officers hat badges was nicknamed the "Donkey Ears" ( photo #8),

and the senior member breast patch shown in # 24 was often called the "Coca-Cola patch", or the "Pepsi-Cola" patch, because of its colors and the location where it was worn (over the right pocket).

Another interesting thing about CAP insignia from WWII, is that sometimes you may see photos of pilots wearing the original design pilots badge as a hat badge on the service cap. Getting the proper insignia and in the right quantities to the troops in the field was a big problem for CAP during the war years.