Civil Air Patrol

ken1967

Not to bust anyones bubble, but I suspect the officers tan service coat may either be a put-together or at least embellished a bit. The all silver winged props were only worn on U.S. Army style uniforms and were obsolete by Jan. 1955. They were not used on the USAF Silvertan service coat. The right breast patch was used from Sep. 1954 thru Dec. 1966 when it became obsolete. This close overlap could be just a coincidence, but the Bronze Medal of Valor Ribbon on the 2nd row wasn't authorized till April 1960. Finding older CAP uniforms that have had insignia added is rather common and even the Air Force museum used to have one on display. (That of a female Corporal wearing an officers green service coat with officer winged props on the lower lapels!)

I'm not saying your tan service coat is a fake, it just looks a little fishy, especially with earlier insignia worn at the same time as that ribbon that came out several years after the lapel winged props went obsolete.

Let me add this disclaimer: Back in the "old days", of the 40's & 50's, it wasn't uncommon to see CAP members wearing uniforms that sometimes didn't even come close to being "by the regs". I even saw some of this sort of thing in the 70's & 80's!

Here is a rare one that has not been posted yet! It's currently sewed onto one of my quilts.

Such a cool story behind the pilots that wore this patch!!

2038675_orig.jpg

www.ww2patchquilts.com

I think it was either the 20th 0r 22nd Tow Target Squadron with the CAP , I have a image of this one in color , it has a rabbit like Bugs bunny riding on a tow sleeve , his one hand raised and wiggling his fingerlike Hey you're getting to close with those shots ! there's a shell zooming by the tail end of the sleeve and two crossed light beams from a spot like in an X pattern behind it . I have a good collection of WW2 CAP unit images I've found here/there off the net , I took photos of most are the Coastal patrol units ,one is a Disney design for the Southern Frontier Liaison Patrol ....................................

• 2 months later...

Ahhh yes, here we are. Indeed, the cap badge is the Senior member NCO cap badge. The guy's site with this photo states that he was with CAP from 1980-83. I didn't see Senior NCOs at all when I joined in 1982, so it must have been obsolete by then....

-Ski

http://wiki.cadetstuff.org/images/3/35/M-sgt-cap.jpg

GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS! The photograph is of myself, then Master Sergeant Herbert Booker in 1968 to 1969, I joined again in 1980. As I held this rank before, according to then C.A.P. regulations was allowed to serve as an NCO, but could not be promoted to a higher non-commissioned officer grade. As I was 38 years old in 1980, I turned down the rank of Second Lieutenant and stayed a Senior Member. It was a shame they quit using Warrant Officer ranks, would have considered that instead of a gold bar! Yes, the rank was not given out in 1980 unless one was an airman or sergeant earlier or had enlisted rank in the U.S.A.F., so I was told? My second time was in California in Los Angeles County. See my website at https://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942 and download anything from my more than 4,000 albums, surely something interesting there to look at. Respectfully, Herbert Booker of Palm Coast, FL (How I look now)

post-837-0-74816600-1386014412.jpg

post-837-0-51275500-1386014734.jpg

• 1 month later...
Peterbiltprison

I miss the old MIWG and SAR patches and the old uniforms the dress blues don't really look that good, but anyways they are selling off their drill helmets because of regulation changes.

rXdynEM.jpg

• 5 months later...

Attached is a description of CAP activities in Washington, DC around 1944-1945 that my mother apparently drew up to add to her resume. I was amused by the mention "take apart wrecks and salvaging parts" thinking "How many airplanes were they wrecking?" On further thought, I remembered that airports used to all have corners where people would abandon wrecks and derelict airplanes. That probably gave the CAP a good supply to work on and salvaging scrap metal would have been considered important for the war effort.

post-54142-0-84275400-1404080202.jpg

• 4 months later...

The item shown above is a Senior Member Identification Badge that was worn centered above the right breast pocket on the class A service coat and in the same position on the class B service uniform shirt. It was authorized for use from Dec. 1966 until July 1981. There was also a similar badge for Cadets and both types were also made in a bevo type weave that were used from Dec. 1966 to June 1971. When these were worn, the white on black plastic name tage was worn centered below this badge on the right pocket flap. The cloth versions were worn on fatigue and flight suit uniforms and only these metal versions were worn on the service uniforms. All versions of these badges are quite common even today.

The item shown above is a Senior Member Identification Badge that was worn centered above the right breast pocket on the class A service coat and in the same position on the class B service uniform shirt. It was authorized for use from Dec. 1966 until July 1981. There was also a similar badge for Cadets and both types were also made in a bevo type weave that were used from Dec. 1966 to June 1971. When these were worn, the white on black plastic name tage was worn centered below this badge on the right pocket flap. The cloth versions were worn on fatigue and flight suit uniforms and only these metal versions were worn on the service uniforms. All versions of these badges are quite common even today.

I appreciate the info!

I received this free when I picked up a few other items. I don't collect CAP items, but was curious what it was.

Bryan

• 2 months later...

This is the hat patch for the Civil Air Patrol Owner Pilot Service. In the late 50s and early 60s, the CAP recruited pilots whose sole purpose was to fly their own aircraft in support of Air Force-assigned missions. They didn't participate in normal unit functions unless called upon during an emergency or exercise. Along with this patch was a red plastic name tag that said Civil Air Patrol O.P.S. and I believe they were allowed to wear flight suits or civilian clothing. By the 1970s, this same membership category was called the CAP General Aviation Member and those guys carried CAP ID cards but wore civilian clothes.

• 1 year later...
pearlharborbaby

I'm posting a CAP womens uniform and then a CAPC poster of mine but its saying file too big, will try to post the poster tomorrow.

post-2-0-41142900-1457542064.jpg

pearlharborbaby

post-162130-0-37182200-1457493916.jpgI managed the poster photo, it is a CAPC recruiting for young men and women 15-18 get you pre flight training now see your high school principal for informative booklet and application blank or write Capt. Murray with address and phone # and class starts date, sorry might be a little small

pearlharborbaby

I'm posting a CAP womens uniform and then a CAPC poster of mine but its saying file too big, will try to post the poster tomorrow

Has CAP insignia button and V Command tag, will try to add photos if anyone would like to see more pictures and I got the CAPC poster on too

pathfinder11

attachicon.gif100_7327.JPGI managed the poster photo, it is a CAPC recruiting for young men and women 15-18 get you pre flight training now see your high school principal for informative booklet and application blank or write Capt. Murray with address and phone # and class starts date, sorry might be a little small

The Civil Air Patrol National History Program now owns this particular poster and efforts are underway to reproduce it, albeit with some changes to modernize the imagery for today's organization. The retro look is too great to pass up.

• 1 year later...

Here is the small sized CAP Hound dog patch. I'm not sure what time period these were worn, however, on the CAP website there's a photo of a guy wearing one on his left chest, probably from the early 60's. I think there is a larger one made of the patch as well.

-Ski

This is the original CAP Emergency Services patch. At one point in the mid-1970s, this patch and a red plastic name tag also identified the CAP General Aviation member, who was a pilot that only participated in Emergency Services missions.

• 3 years later...
TheCrustyBosun

Thanks to this thread, I finally got the story on an item I’ve had for quite some time. It was one of many purchases I made from my favorite store, Colonel Bubbie’s Strand Surplus. 

2DCC914C-AB9D-440F-B3FE-13A95A0D0280.jpeg

• 4 months later...
Johnny Signor
On 9/26/2013 at 10:23 PM, Johnny Signor said:

I think it was either the 20th 0r 22nd Tow Target Squadron with the CAP , I have a image of this one in color , it has a rabbit like Bugs bunny riding on a tow sleeve , his one hand raised and wiggling his fingerlike Hey you're getting to close with those shots ! there's a shell zooming by the tail end of the sleeve and two crossed light beams from a spot like in an X pattern behind it . I have a good collection of WW2 CAP unit images I've found here/there off the net , I took photos of most are the Coastal patrol units ,one is a Disney design for the Southern Frontier Liaison Patrol ....................................

5483a13cca62d.image.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 7:31 PM, TheCrustyBosun said:

Thanks to this thread, I finally got the story on an item I’ve had for quite some time. It was one of many purchases I made from my favorite store, Colonel Bubbie’s Strand Surplus. 

2DCC914C-AB9D-440F-B3FE-13A95A0D0280.jpeg

Looks like MSGT Booker is wearing one above his name tag in the picture posted above.   Unfortunately you can't see much detail but it is clearly the same badge. 

• 11 months later...

My latest addition is a Sr Member SSI cut-edged embroidered with "periods" on the US and it's a greenback!
According to CAP patches site, this was authorized in July 1942 and discontinued November 1944

incountry.us/cappatches/index.html

732-Civil Air Patrol National Sr Member cut-edged embroidered with periods greenback SSI Pic1.jpg

732-Civil Air Patrol National Sr Member cut-edged embroidered with periods greenback SSI Pic2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...