Civil Air Patrol

ken1967

Here is a more modern hat that has USAF chinstrap buttons. Did someone just use a USAF hat and change out the badge? Or is/was this correct? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1337025514.jpg

post-12790-1337025534.jpg

Here is a more modern hat that has USAF chinstrap buttons. Did someone just use a USAF hat and change out the badge? Or is/was this correct? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1337025606.jpg

That badge was always worn with the USAF cap. CAP buttons were normally worn on it, but it was not uncommon for members to use USAF buttons.....

-SKi

Closer view.

The wings on this coat are what was refered to in official CAP regs as "Trick insignia", and was not authorized. All of the other ones I've seen had the CAP emblem in the center in enamal colors. Never-the-less, these are some nice looking wings and were probably custom made for the guy who wore them. An authentic Coastal Patrol uniform is a rare find and this one looks very nice.

That badge was always worn with the USAF cap. CAP buttons were normally worn on it, but it was not uncommon for members to use USAF buttons.....

-SKi

Thank you!

Al

rustywings
The wings on this coat are what was refered to in official CAP regs as "Trick insignia", and was not authorized. All of the other ones I've seen had the CAP emblem in the center in enamal colors. Never-the-less, these are some nice looking wings and were probably custom made for the guy who wore them. An authentic Coastal Patrol uniform is a rare find and this one looks very nice.

Thank you Lee. I greatly appreciate your shared knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand "Trick" pilot wings were indeed worn early in the war because the supply of C.A.P. regulation wings could not keep up with the demand created by the large number of volunteer pilots stepping forward to help with critical Civil Defense needs immediately after Pearl Harbor.

Russ

IMG_2790_crop.jpg

Thank you Lee. I greatly appreciate your shared knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand "Trick" pilot wings were indeed worn early in the war because the supply of C.A.P. regulation wings could not keep up with the demand created by the large number of volunteer pilots stepping forward to help with critical Civil Defense needs immediately after Pearl Harbor.

Russ

That's one reason they were worn, but they were also worn late in the war and perhaps after. Many of these early CAP pilots wore these "Trick" wings just because they liked the design better than the eagle pilots badge they were supposed to be wearing. They wanted a badge that looked more like the Air Force pilots wings. Remember, these guys were civilians and not all were military veterans, so uniform regulations didn't get followed all that religiously in those days. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
I'd like to run this old flag past the Forum's Civil Air Patrol brain-trust for some feedback. I believe the flag is vintage WWII era, but I'm not certain. It is three feet by four feet in size.

Nice flag. I believe that these were still authorized up until the early 1960s. I joined CAP in 1964, but never saw any in use at that time.

Squadron 36 is still an active unit in San Jose, CA, so maybe there is a link.

• 2 months later...
VolunteerArmoury

Does anyone know of a good reference book on the C.A.P.? I know the Silver Wings, Pinks, & Greens books have some information on them.

Most of the good CAP reference titles are out of print. "Flying Minute Men", by Bob Neprud is a good wartime book on CAP activities during WWII. CAP National Headquarters used to have "Hero Next Door", and several historical monographs that covered uniforms and insignia. Back in the mid 1980's, when I was a member of the CAP National Historical Committee, I put out "The Collectors Catalog of Civil Air Patrol Insignia 1942-1985". Copies are hard to find. (Wish I had stockpiled more of them.) There were monographs on CAP Air Medals and the Duck Club (about fliers forced down in WWII), and at lest 3 monogrphs on unit insignia.

Maybe this will give you something to look for even tho most are no longer for sale as far as I know.

Look at the links page to www.usafpatches.com and you can access some sources on CAP info/insignia. Good Luck!

A WWII era Officer's "Coastal Patrol" Pilot coat with red epaulets and officer's stripes on the sleeves. It sports an unusual pair of wings on the chest.

That uniform, Sir, is what they call over here "the dog's bollocks". As far as I'm concerned The Holy Grail of CAP items!

• 1 month later...

Hello to all the other Civil Air Patrol Collectors! Just found the 'Flying Minutemen' book at a local Goodwill today. First time i have seen one. Real good history about the CAP! Tried to find my copy of "The Collector Catolag of Civil Air Patrol insignia" and post a picture it all so, but no luck yet! A REAL good source of what is out there to collect for the CAP stuff. Tried to find all that was listed (ALOT) and after 6 years i might only have a third! Another collection i might never get done! Enjoy the book pics!

post-3643-0-53508900-1358219370_thumb.jpg

In AAMUC's FOOTLOCKER, some of our members have been writing articles on WWII CAP uniforms that they have in their collections. It's been very interesting to me as it is a area about which I know very little.

• 6 months later...
ocsfollowme

Here is a rare one that has not been posted yet! It's currently sewed onto one of my quilts.

Such a cool story behind the pilots that wore this patch!!

2038675_orig.jpg

www.ww2patchquilts.com

ocsfollowme

Here is a weird one. It has "C.A.P." on it. Possible Civil Air Patrol wings?

Anyone know anything about it?

8245599_orig.jpg