M1 Helmet Shrimp Net Reference Guide

Burning Hazard

I'm guessing that 3rd Div Square Mesh Net tag is a collector tag, seeing how the 3rd Div wore no doubt hex mesh too, and other divisions would of worn the square mesh.

I believe then that this tag originated by the fact that it was mostly likely the 3rd Division that first got these U.S.made nets issued to them shortly before Anzio.

The 3rd Division as seen in this photo were issued a lot of the new M1943 Field Jackets, and what has been IDed as M1943 HBT pattern cargo pants, but in an experimental OD Sateen material just like the material of the field jackets themselves rather than OD HBT, plus the buckle top combat boots as well. Here, were also seeing that helmet net.

post-34986-0-51087900-1454695650.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, although I am pretty late to comment, I might as well add some input anyway. I found an image of some US Army soldiers in Luzon with nets on their helmets. I find it strange that there seems to be a shrimp net among the picture. Correct me if I am wrong, but the holes on the helmet without the band is thicker than the US produced M44 net. Could this be proof that shrimp nets made their way to the PTO?

shrimp net .JPG

• 2 years later...
reneblacky

Cheers for this thread.

Scan I took of mine (left) and a published one (right) 3rd patt for comparisonScreenshot2023-04-27182030.jpg.e4d6c5f1c7a3789dfa55fe71bb77468c.jpg