USS Oldendorf DD-972 1/700 scale Spruance Class Destroyer

ArtyScout

Hello All,

I'm posting a couple of pics of the USS Oldendorf. This is a model that I mostly worked on for my grandson. It doesn't have any photoetch railings but I wanted to make it a waterline project. This was also my first attempt at making ocean water and waves. I was very happy with it but my wife was really pleased and happy and offered the idea to take the pictures outside. I was pleasantly surprised that with the natural light my ocean looked very realistic. But like always I will appreciate all your comments and critiques. I cropped the pics to make them as lifelike as possible. I think my next ship might be the USS Missouri (1/535 scale).

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-49418300-1503006955_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-43067200-1503006975_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-18064600-1503006992_thumb.jpg

Awesome job Manny!

When I opened your message and saw the photo I assumed it an actual photo taken from a helo or something. Again - excellent job!!!

No joke, I,did the same thing.

Excellent job

Awesome job Manny!

When I opened your message and saw the photo I assumed it an actual photo taken from a helo or something. Again - excellent job!!!

Thank you all for your generous comments. I'm glad you liked the pictures. My grandson hasn't seen the finished product and I know he's going to love it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Manny,

tanks, figures, planes and now a ship, what's next???? ;) Your water surface looks SUPER REALISTIC! I didn't have the nerve to start a water base dio yet. Your's is looking so good. How did you do that, please???

Lars

Thanks Lars, but like I posted before this was my first water dio. So I was treading in uncharted waters myself, no pun intended.

Well to start I had to get styro foam and foam board since I had already made the ship with the entire hull. If you have the chance to make it a 'waterline' model do so. It's a lot easier. Once I measured and cut out the foam and made sure the ship looked natural in it then I airbrushed it with a mixture of Tamiya Sea Blue and American Acrylics Deep Midnight Blue. The beauty of the ocean is that you can make it as dark or light blue as you like. Once dried I placed the ship back into place and using Gel Medium (bought at Michaels) and a putty knife I formed the waves, the wake behind the ship, and the sides of the ship going thru water. Make sure to clean any unwanted excess off the hull of the ship. The Gel Medium is like white glue, it starts out white but it dries clear. I let it dry overnight and the next day I had a nice ocean looking display. Next I dry brushed the waves with Tamiya White. I especially made sure I gave the rear wake of the ship a nice dose to make it look like the foam of the ocean being churned up by a ships propeller. From there let your artistic eye take over. I hope this helps.

My grandson came over yesterday and I presented him with the finished Destroyer. He was ecstatic and he mentioned that it looked like the ship was on real ocean water. So know I'm thinking about making the USS Missouri as my next ship, but that will be later on. I was also thinking about the old German Pocket Battleship 'Admiral Graf Spee'; unfortunately I won't be able to post it here but I will post it on the FineScale Modeler website if I decide to make that. But that's in the future. For now I'll be jumping between the Iraqi desert and Khe Sanh, Vietnam.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks Lars, but like I posted before this was my first water dio. So I was treading in uncharted waters myself, no pun intended.

Well to start I had to get styro foam and foam board since I had already made the ship with the entire hull. If you have the chance to make it a 'waterline' model do so. It's a lot easier. Once I measured and cut out the foam and made sure the ship looked natural in it then I airbrushed it with a mixture of Tamiya Sea Blue and American Acrylics Deep Midnight Blue. The beauty of the ocean is that you can make it as dark or light blue as you like. Once dried I placed the ship back into place and using Gel Medium (bought at Michaels) and a putty knife I formed the waves, the wake behind the ship, and the sides of the ship going thru water. Make sure to clean any unwanted excess off the hull of the ship. The Gel Medium is like white glue, it starts out white but it dries clear. I let it dry overnight and the next day I had a nice ocean looking display. Next I dry brushed the waves with Tamiya White. I especially made sure I gave the rear wake of the ship a nice dose to make it look like the foam of the ocean being churned up by a ships propeller. From there let your artistic eye take over. I hope this helps.

My grandson came over yesterday and I presented him with the finished Destroyer. He was ecstatic and he mentioned that it looked like the ship was on real ocean water. So know I'm thinking about making the USS Missouri as my next ship, but that will be later on. I was also thinking about the old German Pocket Battleship 'Admiral Graf Spee'; unfortunately I won't be able to post it here but I will post it on the FineScale Modeler website if I decide to make that. But that's in the future. For now I'll be jumping between the Iraqi desert and Khe Sanh, Vietnam.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Manny, thanks very much for this detailed description. I'll definitively try something similar in the future.

Lars

• 1 year later...

I found it! The ship is great and the ocean came out fantastic! I'll be sure to pop some corn, sit back and watch your Graf Spee build on the World Militaria Forum.

Mikie

Very nice work, applying photo etch in that scale is a bear to handle. The P/E is like spring loaded in 1/700 and 1/350, it flies off the tweezers and disappears into the floor carpet. Then you spend an hour looking for the part and eventually give up..and go back to building planes, tanks, and other non- P/E kits!

Just out of curiosity, what era MISSOURI are you looking at doing? MISSOURI was a busy ship, through a number of periods.

Just out of curiosity, what era MISSOURI are you looking at doing? MISSOURI was a busy ship, through a number of periods.

Hey OP, I kind of put the 'Mighty Mo' on the back burner for now as I decided to build the German Pocket Battleship Admiral Graf Spee instead. If you like you can follow the build on the worldmilitaria sister forum. But if I decided to build the Missouri it would have to be the WWII version.

Semper Fi.

Manny