Civil War unusal 1863 Musket markings

Johnnymac

Ist lock - Please note the lock marking its a standard 1863 Springfield lock. The U.S. as you can see by the illusion is not below the Eagle which is set off to side as shown

2nd lock – is also the standard 1863 musket lock. What is no standard, or known, is the markings. “This eagle design” with U.S. under the eagle was used by the contractors, S.N. & W.T.C., & Savage F.R.A. Co. There were others mfgs who stamped the eagles above the U.S. but their eagle was not of this design. So my question is why is it marked with a standard S.N & W.T.C./ Savage F.R.A. company markings yet have too the standard Springfield name with it? Could it be to fill in a needed order by one or the other companies needs for part during the CW.

I called around, and I have found another person who’s business it is to sell original and reproduction Civil War guns and parts, he also has the same lock, and was happy to hear of my find. adding he had it for years, and he knows “ALL” the CW Gun book writers who say this lock was not made in some ones basement nor is it a bannermen make up, that it is a true era piece.

Any other thoughts and does anyone have one of these locks.

post-12923-0-97155000-1502996819_thumb.jpg