1944 mess kit with pouch

semperbee

I have seen lots of mess kits at yard & estate sales but this is first time I've encountered the pouch. Kit is marked "U.S M.A.Co. 1944"

Nothing marked on the outside of the pouch (front or back) only on the inside of the flap "B-46" in block letters and hand writing.

Does anyone know the time period of the pouch? The vet was prior Coast Guard, had his name and US Coastguard stenciled on the white canvas seabag.

post-6774-0-78912100-1502990597_thumb.jpg

The pouch buckled to the flap of the M1928 haversack.

It was made detachable so it could be replaced if too soiled.

The pockets inside would be for the knife, spoon and fork.

Tim

Semperbee does that mess kit fit easily in that pouch? I have a WW2 dated mess kit and a pouch like yours, but the mess kit fits slightly big inside the pouch. It will go in but the strap on the flap barely goes into the buckle to close it. I can find no date on the pouch. I have a 1918 dated mess kit which fits right in the pouch and buckles easily. I wonder if your 1944 dated pouch is a slightly bigger version for the WW2 mess kits?

Sgt BARney-

The mess kit fits easily inside the pouch, however I don't have the utensils so that may make a difference. The pouch is undated unless the B46 stamp is an indicator.

I don't know what time period it's from.

I've found it makes a difference which way the utensils are inserted into their pockets on the fit of the mess kit. They should be put in open-end down with the top of the fork and spoon facing the kit so that they curve over it. The kit should also be put in the pouch horizontally with the convex side of the lid into the pan.