US Military Women's Handbags Question

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: I recently ran across some US Military issue women's handbags that have NSNs and contracts list 1993 to 2000 and I was wondering if there is interest or a market for them? I like women's military items since my Mother was in the US Navy WAVES in WWII. So I would appreciate any assistance/advice. Thanks,

P.S. I'll post pictures soon.

Contract numbers would indicate navy use.....I would surmise newer items as such would have very limited interest or value.....Bodes

The DLA contract#s and dates are: SP0100-85-C-4074 for 1985 and then 1987, 1993, 1995, 2000...1985 being the latest. Black synthetic leather w/straps...one still have the original NSN tag. As stated...I'll post pictures...they're in nice shape....but close to current...I'd assume that the female service member would "ditch" these ASAP.

Hello,

Your purses / handbags were or are used by all branches of the U. S. military. They regularly sell on ebay for $10 to $15. I would also disagree with your assumption about women "ditching" their handbags. If women wear their service or dress uniform this is the handbag they carry. No Vera Bradley or Coach bags allowed.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

​Thanks Bruce....I appreciate your comment.....I guess a "COACH" purse wouldn't cut it...(Smile),,with all the bling. I found them in a USAF Thrift store...for very little. For me...this is the 1st time I've seen them. Again...Thanks Bruce. Aim High USAF

These have pretty much the "look" as WWII issue and can be used by WAVES re-enactors/living historians until they can get an original or just don't want to ruin their original.

Pretty common and of little value at this point. Nice that you saved them, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Your purses / handbags were or are used by all branches of the U. S. military. They regularly sell on ebay for $10 to $15. I would also disagree with your assumption about women "ditching" their handbags. If women wear their service or dress uniform this is the handbag they carry. No Vera Bradley or Coach bags allowed.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Not sure if this is still the reg, but in 2011 the USN did loosen the regs to allow Coach, among other bags to be worn with uniforms. I remember seeing a Coach bag as some point that was advertised as Navy authorized, so I just looked it up.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=62483

Female Sailors may carry handbags purchased from civilian sources as long as the handbags meet the following specifications:

- They must be plain black, brown or white grain leather or synthetic leather. Exotic materials such as eel, alligator or ostrich skin are not authorized.

- Bags must be rectangular, 7.5-14 inches long, 5.5-11 inches high and 2-4 inches deep.

- Flaps must be magnetic or zippered, with brass-plated, silver, or gold colored closures.

- A strap must be of the same material as its purse, with brass-plated, silver, or gold colored buckles.

- Decorative stitching, embossed designs, visible ornamentation and manufacturers' logos are not allowed.

• 2 months later...

Interesting post. I truly didn't even remember being issued a handbag when I entered the Air Force in 1980, but seeing the picture did remind me. I don't believe I ever carried it and guess I did indeed ditch it quickly. I've never been a purse person and when I was working I carried a briefcase. Ditched the odd pillbox style felt hat too, it got flattened in my luggage during a move and I never messed with it again - happily as an SP I wore a beret!

Sue

• 2 months later...

Hi: Here are the pictures...I agree with your comment Bodes

I was issued one of these in boot camp (USCG 1994). I threw it out not long after that, but then I had to buy another one because it was supposed to be a part of our seabag issue and they were checking when I was in "A" school training. I threw that one out as well. I think someone would buy it for the nostalgia but they were pretty hideous even in the 90s. They don't issue them anymore thank fully!