Well worn TBH-II Helmet

AnDuc49

Hello all, I recently picked up this helmet and I wanted to share it with you guys. This is the first modern helmet that I've purchased myself, so if I say something wrong, please let me know and feel free to add more info!

The pictures don't really show how dirty the helmet actually is in hand. I believe it's a untouched set, besides missing goggles (you can see the clean area around the middle of the cover where the elastic band would've gone) as well as the pads. The pads do show some use, so I believe they may have been replaced during deployment.

The helmet itself was produced in Jan of 2006 and the rhino mount was produced in Feb of 2006. Both the armor nape pad and chinstrap show hard use, as evident by the sweat stains and overall griminess. On the nape pad, the vet wrote his name "Jack" or possibly "Josh" and what looks like his service number with a ballpoint pen. It's quite faded though, so it's hard to read. The helmet band still has his service number which is nice, but his name tape was also removed which I am told was a common practice. I was told too that "CT" likely stands for Charlie Co, and that "T" is likely the inital of his last name. Overall, it's a nice salty helmet and I'm happy with it.

I hope you all enjoy it :)

I also would like to thank Mr. Holland for helping me with this set, he's a great guy with alot of knowledge in this particular area of collecting

post-154926-0-21321000-1502819753_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very nice, looks good. The pads have been replaced or at least washed, they get really nasty and turn a dark gray, it's very common to find salty unmessed with helmets that have had the pads replaced, I'd say at least half of them have clean pads so it doesn't detract much IMO. The pads are also set up incorrectly, but it is not uncommon for soldiers to set them up differently for more comfort, kind of like attaching the sweatband of an M1 to the nape strap.

Helmet looks good. Its always a sad day when they keep their helmet together, and take one patch off the cateyes. By looking at the information I don't think its Charlie company, its more likely his first name. Units had their own SOP on those and they do vary quite a bit from unit to unit. Great lid.

Other than the name being removed looks like a nice complete piece. For the first GWOT helmet added to your collection you did well!

Thank you all for the additional information. I had no idea about the pads being set up wrong, but it would make sense if it added to the wearers comfort.

I also read that NV might bring out faded marks? Would it feasible to try reading the handwritten info on the armor nape pad using this method?

Many thanks again

Don't sweat the pad setup too much, the bigger square pads "should" go at the forehead, and back of the head, with the skinnier pads along the side. That being said though, and as was pointed out, soldiers would set the pads up for comfort.

Not sure about your question with the nape pad.

Thank you all for the additional information. I had no idea about the pads being set up wrong, but it would make sense if it added to the wearers comfort.

I also read that NV might bring out faded marks? Would it feasible to try reading the handwritten info on the armor nape pad using this method?

Many thanks again

I would definently try. Night vision has always worked well for me.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Yeah night vision on a camcorder is great for seeing faded ink, both pen and stamps, although I've noticed it has trouble with red ink.

This video shows the official ways of setting up the pads, but mostly troops just set them up for comfort, not impact protection.

Yeah night vision on a camcorder is great for seeing faded ink, both pen and stamps, although I've noticed it has trouble with red ink.

This video shows the official ways of setting up the pads, but mostly troops just set them up for comfort, not impact protection.

Lol...leave it to the Marines to make a video about how to put pads in your helmet AND how to put it on bhwhwhhahahaah...We just put our pads in and went. Was stationed in Alaska and was NEVER told anything about pads needing to be warmed up before wearing.