ANA Numismatic Art Award for Excellence in Medallic Sculpture awarded to USMF member Richard Bonham

tarbridge

ParanormalTrooper

Congrats! I saw that in my copy of "The Numistmatist" but didn't realize it was a forum member. Very cool!

aerialbridge

Dick, what a tremendous, God-given talent you have. And appropriate that you've rendered these beautiful scenes from Nature. I'm glad they got it right and gave you this award, congratulations!

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. It was quite an honor to receive the American Numismatic Association’s Numismatic Art Award for Excellence in Medallic Sculpture. Also, thank you Robert for posting the award. Here are some better pictures of my pieces. I hope that since the award was posted it’s OK to post some of my sculpture. I have quite a few of my GI Joe prototypes posted in the Modeling section of the forum. The technique of creating the various weapons in individual pieces of brass soldered and brazed together to make the GI Joe prototypes for Cotswold Collectibles is what started me creating medals in the same manner. I find this technique much more interesting than casting in bronze. I have also posted some of my large bronzes. My favorite is Chief Shikellamy who was an Oneida chief and overseer for the Iroquois confederacy.

post-9487-0-19903900-1503179347.jpg

post-9487-0-08917000-1503179353_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-38611200-1503179360.jpg

Dick,

I can only echo what others have said....amazing and beautiful work!

Where is the bust of Chief Shikellamy located? I am really interested in the French and Indian War and Colonial Pennsylvania history and would love to see it in person, if possible. As a matter of fact I was exploring the Tulpehocken path last weekend and was admiring his statue at the Conrad Weiser homestead.

Brent

Kurt Barickman

Wow, very nice Dick, you not only do you have a fantastic medal collection but are obviously a very gifted artisan. Congrats on a very well deserved award!

Kurt

I see that one of the medallions is 101mm...is that the average size? The detail is extrodinary, I imagine commissions easily fund those medal groups you unearth!

I don't know how realistic it would be as I don't know much of the craft, but have you ever considered combining your passions and making cigarette cases or dip can lids, etc in a style inspired by the beautiful China Marine silver pieces?