WW2 Naval Helmet

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

This is a very very nice helmet. The pictures do not do it justice. It has a beautiful blue on it. It has a name on both front and back. Front seam fixed bail. Heat stamp is 195B.

A very early shell with raised bar buckle. I would love to find more out about the sailor.

I wasn't planning on keeping this one but I'm going to have to, at least for a while haha

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

I was able to find out that He was on the U.S.S. Bataan in 1945. This would mean he most likely saw action at Okinawa...

Dirt Detective

Great lookin helmet..that steel pot looks to be a one looker..great pic's too. Congrats..I dont blame you for wanting to keep.

I like it. This goes to show though how even a simple, honest lid gets messed with in some way. I say no detraction here. Shells and liners were unlikely stored together unless kept in the hands of the vet himself. In surplus stores, for example, you picked your favorite shell out of one crate and went to another crate for a liner - I remember doing that. Complete originality is desirable but sometimes it can be suspicious. There are those who will take such unavoidable inconveniences too far and say that adding period insignia to a period jacket is okay. I have seen big show guys giving the nod to such things and have seen it with dealers even on this forum recently(omitting that his source admitted here to "restoring" a tunic but himself admitting adding only one item. Then asking 7X the price). Am I the only one who notices so many "complete" uniforms lately? Sure, we are losing most of the WWII vets but there are more period correct Class As out there than ever.

Wow, Sorry for the rant!

I guess you came out ahead on liner condition. Especially since the previous liner was ID'd to another. Anything written inside the shell? Lightly with pencil, etc.?

Great helmet!

Dave

KC

Screamingeagles101

I like it. This goes to show though how even a simple, honest lid gets messed with in some way. I say no detraction here.  Shells and liners were unlikely stored together unless kept in the hands of the vet himself. In surplus stores, for example, you picked your favorite shell out of one crate and went to another crate for a liner - I remember doing that. Complete originality is desirable but sometimes it can be suspicious. There are those who will take such unavoidable inconveniences too far and say that adding period insignia to a period jacket is okay. I have seen big show guys giving the nod to such things and have seen it with dealers even on this forum recently(omitting that his source admitted here to "restoring" a tunic but himself admitting adding only one item. Then asking 7X the price). Am I the only one who notices so many "complete" uniforms lately? Sure, we are losing most of the WWII vets but there are more period correct Class As out there than ever.  

Wow, Sorry for the rant!

I guess you came out ahead on liner condition. Especially since the previous liner was ID'd to another. Anything written inside the shell? Lightly with pencil, etc.?

Great helmet!

Dave

KC

Yes, unfortunately most helmets are not original set. Like you said unless it's coming out of a veteran estate, they are hard to come by.

Thank you for your comment.

Dom.