US Army bicycle tire pump????????

13M40 (RET)

Hi everyone, I just did a post a few minutes ago introducing myself as a new member. I got this item last weekend at an estate sale. It is 22" tall and there is nothing special about it other than the marking on the base. I know from looking at another thread in here last night that the Army used a lot of bicycles in WW2 and even tried out a folding one for the Airborne. The shade of green on this is not what I am used to seeing on a military item and it does not appear to be repainted. The font and spacing between the letters sure looks right for a military item. Thanks in advance maybe I will be able to return the favor. Dave

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

Tried to upload the images direct but the files were too large. Lets see if this works. VOILA!!!!!!

Dave,

I think they might have used these pumps in jeeps and other vehicles since they couldn't pull into the nearest gas station for air. Not sure about the color, but nothing surprises when it comes to variations, and I never say "they never used that".

Mark

Dave,

I think they might have used these pumps in jeeps and other vehicles since they couldn't pull into the nearest gas station for air. Not sure about the color, but nothing surprises when it comes to variations, and I never say "they never used that".

Mark

Mark, Thanks for that fast reply. I never saw a manual pump in all my years in the Army. As far as color we all know the Army has a mania for painting things, maybe this was the color that was around at the moment.

Johan Willaert

Although not identical, this pump is indeed very similar to the ones issued with Jeeps and other WW2 US Army vehicles.

The US marking probably indicates Army property. I suggest you ask around on the G503 Forum as someone there will know for sure.

http://www.g503.com/forums/

Meanwhile you can find some info on Jeep Pumps here:

http://www.g503.com/tools/pump.htm

Yes, these pumps can be used to inflate bicycle and motorcycle tires too, as they all have the same valves, but these were not issued with US Army WW2 bikes.

Hope this helps,

JOhan

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Still trying to nail this thing down. I KNEW something about the font of the U S letters was bothering me. A few days ago I bought a WW1 canteen cup and the font is virtually identical with my tire pump. Then I looked at some other WW1 items on eBay and the font is the same. Could this tire pump be a WW1 era item? If so how to find out. Here is a pic of the canteen cup lettering. Thanks, Dave

USFONT.jpg